Estimating the basis risk of index-linked hedging strategies using multivariate extreme value theory
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Genest, Christian & Rémillard, Bruno & Beaudoin, David, 2009. "Goodness-of-fit tests for copulas: A review and a power study," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 199-213, April.
- Chollete, Lorán & de la Peña, Victor & Lu, Ching-Chih, 2012. "International diversification: An extreme value approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 871-885.
- François Longin & Bruno Solnik, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, April.
- Brodin, Erik & Rootzén, Holger, 2009. "Univariate and bivariate GPD methods for predicting extreme wind storm losses," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 345-356, June.
- Mark Manfredo & Timothy Richards, 2009. "Hedging with weather derivatives: a role for options in reducing basis risk," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 87-97.
- Cotter, John, 2001.
"Margin exceedences for European stock index futures using extreme value theory,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(8), pages 1475-1502, August.
- Cotter, John, 2000. "Margin Exceedences for European Stock Index Futures using Extreme Value Theory," MPRA Paper 3534, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2001.
- Chou-Wen Wang & Ting-Yi Wu, 2008. "Pricing futures options with basis risk: evidence from S&P 500 futures options," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(19), pages 1561-1567.
- Linda L. Golden & Mulong Wang & Chuanhou Yang, 2007. "Handling Weather Related Risks Through the Financial Markets: Considerations of Credit Risk, Basis Risk, and Hedging," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 74(2), pages 319-346, June.
- Zhou, Chen, 2010. "Dependence structure of risk factors and diversification effects," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 531-540, June.
- Kojadinovic, Ivan & Yan, Jun, 2010. "Comparison of three semiparametric methods for estimating dependence parameters in copula models," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 52-63, August.
- L. K. Hotta & E. C. Lucas & H. P Palaro, 2008. "Estimation of VaR Using Copula and Extreme Value Theory," Multinational Finance Journal, Multinational Finance Journal, vol. 12(3-4), pages 205-218, September.
- Cummins, J. David & Lalonde, David & Phillips, Richard D., 2004.
"The basis risk of catastrophic-loss index securities,"
Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 77-111, January.
- J. David Cummins & David Lalonde & Richard D. Phillips, 2000. "The Basis Risk of Catastrophic-Loss Index Securities," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-22, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Marsaglia, George & Tsang, Wai Wan & Wang, Jingbo, 2003. "Evaluating Kolmogorov's Distribution," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 8(i18).
- Gatzert, Nadine & Kellner, Ralf, 2011. "The influence of non-linear dependencies on the basis risk of industry loss warranties," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 132-144, July.
- John Major, 1999. "Index Hedge Performance: Insurer Market Penetration and Basis Risk," NBER Chapters, in: The Financing of Catastrophe Risk, pages 391-432, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Figlewski, Stephen, 1984. "Hedging Performance and Basis Risk in Stock Index Futures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 657-669, July.
- Juri, Alessandro & Wuthrich, Mario V., 2002. "Copula convergence theorems for tail events," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 405-420, June.
- McNeil, Alexander J., 1997. "Estimating the Tails of Loss Severity Distributions Using Extreme Value Theory," ASTIN Bulletin, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(1), pages 117-137, May.
- Longin, Francois M., 2000. "From value at risk to stress testing: The extreme value approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1097-1130, July.
- Ser-Huang Poon, 2004. "Extreme Value Dependence in Financial Markets: Diagnostics, Models, and Financial Implications," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 581-610.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fuentes, Fernanda & Herrera, Rodrigo & Clements, Adam, 2018.
"Modeling extreme risks in commodities and commodity currencies,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 108-120.
- Fernanda Fuentes & Rodrigo Herrera & Adam Clements, 2016. "Modelling Extreme Risks in Commodities and Commodity Currencies," NCER Working Paper Series 115, National Centre for Econometric Research.
- Ceballos, Francisco, 2016. "Estimating spatial basis risk in rainfall index insurance: Methodology and application to excess rainfall insurance in Uruguay," IFPRI discussion papers 1595, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Daly, Kevin & Batten, Jonathan A. & Mishra, Anil V. & Choudhury, Tonmoy, 2019. "Contagion risk in global banking sector," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 63(C).
- He, Junnan & Tang, Qihe & Zhang, Huan, 2016. "Risk reducers in convex order," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 80-88.
More about this item
KeywordsExtreme value theory; Index-linked hedging instruments; Copulas;
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:37:y:2013:i:11:p:4353-4367. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Haili He). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jbf .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.