Dependence structure of risk factors and diversification effects
In this paper, we study the aggregated risk from dependent risk factors under the multivariate Extreme Value Theory (EVT) framework. We consider the heavy-tailedness of the risk factors as well as the non-parametric tail dependence structure. This allows a large range of models on the dependence. We assess the Value-at-Risk of a diversified portfolio constructed from dependent risk factors. Moreover, we examine the diversification effects under this setup.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P. Hartmann & S. Straetmans & C. G. de Vries, 2004.
"Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 313-326, February.
- Philipp Hartman & Stefan Straetmans & Casper De Vries, 2001. "Asset market linkages in crisis periods," Proceedings 727, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- P. Hartmann & S. Straetmans & C.G. de Vries, 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-071/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- de Vries, Casper G & Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan, 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," CEPR Discussion Papers 2916, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hartmann, P. & Straetmans, S. & De Vries, C.G., 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," Papers 71, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan & de Vries, Casper, 2001. "Asset market linkages in crisis periods," Working Paper Series 0071, European Central Bank.
- Rustam Ibragimov & Johan Walden, 2006. "Portfolio Diversification Under Local, Moderate and Global Deviations From Power Laws," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2116, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Susmel, Raul, 2001. "Extreme observations and diversification in Latin American emerging equity markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 971-986, December.
- Jansen, Dennis W & de Vries, Casper G, 1991. "On the Frequency of Large Stock Returns: Putting Booms and Busts into Perspective," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 18-24, February.
- Dennis W. Jansen & Casper de Vries, 1988. "On the frequency of large stock returns: putting booms and busts into perspective," Working Papers 1989-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Gourieroux, C. & Laurent, J. P. & Scaillet, O., 2000. "Sensitivity analysis of Values at Risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 225-245, November.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Laurent, J.P. & Scaillet, Olivier, 1999. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2000002, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 00 Jan 2000.
- Christian Gourieroux & J. P. Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0162, Econometric Society.
- C. Gourieroux & J.P. Laurent & O. Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity analysis of values at risk," THEMA Working Papers 2000-04, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Christian Gourieroux & Jean-Paul Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Working Papers 2000-05, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Ibragimov, Rustam & Walden, Johan, 2008. "Portfolio diversification under local and moderate deviations from power laws," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 594-599, April.
- W. Jansen Dennis, 2001. "Limited Downside Risk In Portfolio Selection Among U.S. and Pacific Basin Equities," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 1-39.
- Jansen, Dennis W. & Koedijk, Kees G. & de Vries, Casper G., 2000. "Portfolio selection with limited downside risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 247-269, November.
- Arzac, Enrique R. & Bawa, Vijay S., 1977. "Portfolio choice and equilibrium in capital markets with safety-first investors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 277-288, May.
- Walden, Johan & Ibragimov, Rustam, 2008. "Portfolio Diversification under Local and Moderate Deviations from Power Laws," Scholarly Articles 2640586, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Barbe, Philippe & Fougères, Anne-Laure & Genest, Christian, 2006. "On the Tail Behavior of Sums of Dependent Risks," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(02), pages 361-373, November.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Namwon Hyung, 2005. "Portfolio Diversification Effects of Downside Risk," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(1), pages 107-125.
- Hyung, Namwon & de Vries, Casper G., 2007. "Portfolio selection with heavy tails," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 383-400, June.
- Ser-Huang Poon, 2004. "Extreme Value Dependence in Financial Markets: Diagnostics, Models, and Financial Implications," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 581-610. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)