Dependence structure of risk factors and diversification effects
In this paper, we study the aggregated risk from dependent risk factors under the multivariate Extreme Value Theory (EVT) framework. We consider the heavy-tailedness of the risk factors as well as the non-parametric tail dependence structure. This allows a large range of models on the dependence. We assess the Value-at-Risk of a diversified portfolio constructed from dependent risk factors. Moreover, we examine the diversification effects under this setup.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dennis W. Jansen & Casper de Vries, 1988.
"On the frequency of large stock returns: putting booms and busts into perspective,"
1989-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Jansen, Dennis W & de Vries, Casper G, 1991. "On the Frequency of Large Stock Returns: Putting Booms and Busts into Perspective," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 18-24, February.
- Jansen, Dennis W. & Koedijk, Kees G. & de Vries, Casper G., 2000. "Portfolio selection with limited downside risk," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 247-269, November.
- de Vries, Casper G & Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan, 2001.
"Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2916, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Philipp Hartman & Stefan Straetmans & Casper De Vries, 2001. "Asset market linkages in crisis periods," Proceedings 727, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan & de Vries, Casper, 2001. "Asset market linkages in crisis periods," Working Paper Series 0071, European Central Bank.
- Hartmann, P. & Straetmans, S. & De Vries, C.G., 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," Papers 71, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- P. Hartmann & S. Straetmans & C.G. de Vries, 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-071/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- C. Gourieroux & J.P. Laurent & O. Scaillet, 2000.
"Sensitivity analysis of values at risk,"
THEMA Working Papers
2000-04, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Gouriéroux, Christian & Laurent, J.P. & Scaillet, Olivier, 1999. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2000002, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES), revised 00 Jan 2000.
- Christian Gourieroux & J. P. Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0162, Econometric Society.
- Christian Gourieroux & Jean-Paul Laurent & Olivier Scaillet, 2000. "Sensitivity Analysis of Values at Risk," Working Papers 2000-05, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- W. Jansen Dennis, 2001. "Limited Downside Risk In Portfolio Selection Among U.S. and Pacific Basin Equities," International Economic Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 1-39.
- Ser-Huang Poon, 2004. "Extreme Value Dependence in Financial Markets: Diagnostics, Models, and Financial Implications," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 581-610.
- Hyung, Namwon & de Vries, Casper G., 2007. "Portfolio selection with heavy tails," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 383-400, June.
- Arzac, Enrique R. & Bawa, Vijay S., 1977. "Portfolio choice and equilibrium in capital markets with safety-first investors," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 277-288, May.
- Ibragimov, Rustam & Walden, Johan, 2008. "Portfolio diversification under local and moderate deviations from power laws," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 594-599, April.
- Rustam Ibragimov & Johan Walden, 2006. "Portfolio Diversification Under Local, Moderate and Global Deviations From Power Laws," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2116, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Namwon Hyung, 2005. "Portfolio Diversification Effects of Downside Risk," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 3(1), pages 107-125.
- Susmel, Raul, 2001. "Extreme observations and diversification in Latin American emerging equity markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(7), pages 971-986, December.
- Walden, Johan & Ibragimov, Rustam, 2008. "Portfolio Diversification under Local and Moderate Deviations from Power Laws," Scholarly Articles 2640586, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
- Barbe, Philippe & Fougères, Anne-Laure & Genest, Christian, 2006. "On the Tail Behavior of Sums of Dependent Risks," ASTIN Bulletin: The Journal of the International Actuarial Association, Cambridge University Press, vol. 36(02), pages 361-373, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:46:y:2010:i:3:p:531-540. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.