Extreme dependence with asymmetric thresholds: Evidence for the European Monetary Union
Existing papers on extreme dependence use symmetrical thresholds to define simultaneous stock market booms or crashes such as the joint occurrence of the upper or lower one percent return quantile in both stock markets. We show that the probability of the joint occurrence of extreme stock returns may be higher for asymmetric thresholds than for symmetric thresholds. We propose a non-parametric measure of extreme dependence which allows capturing extreme events for different thresholds and can be used to compute different types of extreme dependence. We find that extreme dependence among the stock markets of ten initial EMU member countries, the United Kingdom, and the United States is largely asymmetrical in the pre-EMU period (1989-1998) and largely symmetrical in the EMU period (1999-2010). Our findings suggest that ignoring the possibility of asymmetric extreme dependence may lead to an underestimation of the probability of co-booms and co-crashes.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McNeil, Alexander J. & Frey, Rudiger, 2000. "Estimation of tail-related risk measures for heteroscedastic financial time series: an extreme value approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 271-300, November.
- P. Hartmann & S. Straetmans & C. G. de Vries, 2004.
"Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 313-326, February.
- P. Hartmann & S. Straetmans & C.G. de Vries, 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-071/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Hartmann, P. & Straetmans, S. & De Vries, C.G., 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," Papers 71, Quebec a Montreal - Recherche en gestion.
- Philipp Hartman & Stefan Straetmans & Casper De Vries, 2001. "Asset market linkages in crisis periods," Proceedings 727, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- de Vries, Casper G & Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan, 2001. "Asset Market Linkages in Crisis Periods," CEPR Discussion Papers 2916, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hartmann, Philipp & Straetmans, Stefan & de Vries, Casper, 2001. "Asset market linkages in crisis periods," Working Paper Series 0071, European Central Bank.
- Michel Beine & Antonio Cosma & Robert Vermeulen, 2008.
"The Dark Side of Global Integration: Increasing Tail Dependence,"
CREA Discussion Paper Series
08-03, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Beine, Michel & Cosma, Antonio & Vermeulen, Robert, 2010. "The dark side of global integration: Increasing tail dependence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 184-192, January.
- Antonio Cosma & firstname.lastname@example.org & Michel Beine & Robert Vermeulen, 2009. "The Dark Side of Global Integration: Increasing Tail Dependence," LSF Research Working Paper Series 09-05, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Garcia, René & Tsafack, Georges, 2011.
"Dependence structure and extreme comovements in international equity and bond markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(8), pages 1954-1970, August.
- René Garcia & Georges Tsafack, 2009. "Dependence Structure and Extreme Comovements in International Equity and Bond Markets," CIRANO Working Papers 2009s-21, CIRANO.
- Dimitris Politis & Halbert White, 2004. "Automatic Block-Length Selection for the Dependent Bootstrap," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(1), pages 53-70.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & de Haan, L.F.M. & Piterbarg, V.I., 2001. "Nonparametric estimation of the spectral measure of an extreme value distribution," Other publications TiSEM c3485b9b-a0bd-456f-9baa-0, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- De Vries, C.G., 2005.
"The simple economics of bank fragility,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 803-825, April.
- Jian Hu, 2010. "Dependence structures in Chinese and US financial markets: a time-varying conditional copula approach," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(7), pages 561-583.
- François Longin, 2001. "Extreme Correlation of International Equity Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 649-676, 04.
- Aloui, Riadh & Aïssa, Mohamed Safouane Ben & Nguyen, Duc Khuong, 2011.
"Global financial crisis, extreme interdependences, and contagion effects: The role of economic structure?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 130-141, January.
- Riadh Aloui & Mohamed Safouane Ben Aissa & Khuong Nguyen Duc, 2010. "Global Financial Crisis, Extreme Interdependences, and Contagion E§ects: The Role of Economic Structure," Working Papers 15, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Cyril Caillault & Dominique Guegan, 2005.
"Empirical Estimation of Tail Dependence Using Copulas. Application to Asian Markets,"
- Cyril Caillault & Dominique Guegan, 2005. "Empirical estimation of tail dependence using copulas: application to Asian markets," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(5), pages 489-501.
- Chollete, Lorán & de la Peña, Victor & Lu, Ching-Chih, 2011. "International diversification: A copula approach," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 403-417, February.
- Rodriguez, Juan Carlos, 2007. "Measuring financial contagion: A Copula approach," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 401-423, June.
- Ser-Huang Poon, 2004. "Extreme Value Dependence in Financial Markets: Diagnostics, Models, and Financial Implications," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(2), pages 581-610.
- Rafael Schmidt & Ulrich Stadtmüller, 2006. "Non-parametric Estimation of Tail Dependence," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 33(2), pages 307-335.
- Bedendo, Mascia & Campolongo, Francesca & Joossens, Elisabeth & Saita, Francesco, 2010. "Pricing multiasset equity options: How relevant is the dependence function?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 788-801, April.
- Paul Embrechts, 2009. "Linear Correlation and EVT: Properties and Caveats," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 7(1), pages 30-39, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:35:y:2011:i:11:p:2916-2930. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.