Pricing multiasset equity options: How relevant is the dependence function?
In this paper we test how different choices for the dependence function can affect the prices of a set of multiasset equity options. We conduct the analysis for various 5-dimensional baskets of UK shares, and a wide range of payoffs for the multiasset options, consistent with the instruments traded on the market. We also test the relevance of the dependence specification over both volatile and quiet market scenarios. Interestingly, we find that, in most circumstances, the choice of a dependence structure richer than the standard linear correlation does not seem to affect option prices substantially. However, the dependence function becomes more relevant in particularly volatile market conditions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua Rosenberg, 1999. "Semiparametric Pricing of Multivariate Contingent Claims," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-028, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Glasserman, Paul & Suchintabandid, Sira, 2007. "Correlation expansions for CDO pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1375-1398, May.
- Cyril Caillault & Dominique Guegan, 2005.
"Empirical estimation of tail dependence using copulas: application to Asian markets,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(5), pages 489-501.
- Cyril Caillault & Dominique Guegan, 2005. "Empirical Estimation of Tail Dependence Using Copulas. Application to Asian Markets," Post-Print halshs-00180865, HAL.
- Elisa Luciano & Wim Schoutens, 2006. "A multivariate jump-driven financial asset model," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(5), pages 385-402.
- Elisa Luciano & Wim Schoutens, 2005. "A Multivariate Jump-Driven Financial Asset Model," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 6-2005, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Elisa Luciano & Wim Schoutens, 2006. "A Multivariate Jump-Driven Financial Asset Model," Carlo Alberto Notebooks 29, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Johnson, Herb, 1987. "Options on the Maximum or the Minimum of Several Assets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(03), pages 277-283, September.
- van den Goorbergh, Rob W.J. & Genest, Christian & Werker, Bas J.M., 2005. "Bivariate option pricing using dynamic copula models," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 101-114, August.
- Zhang, Zhengjun & Shinki, Kazuhiko, 2007. "Extreme co-movements and extreme impacts in high frequency data in finance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1399-1415, May.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Beine, Michel & Cosma, Antonio & Vermeulen, Robert, 2010. "The dark side of global integration: Increasing tail dependence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 184-192, January.
- Michel Beine & Antonio Cosma & Robert Vermeulen, 2008. "The Dark Side of Global Integration: Increasing Tail Dependence," CREA Discussion Paper Series 08-03, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Antonio Cosma & firstname.lastname@example.org & Michel Beine & Robert Vermeulen, 2009. "The Dark Side of Global Integration: Increasing Tail Dependence," LSF Research Working Paper Series 09-05, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Andrew Harvey & Esther Ruiz & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 247-264.
- Christoph Schleicher & Mark Salmon, 2006. "Pricing Multivariate Currency Options with Copulas," Working Papers wp06-21, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- U. Cherubini & E. Luciano, 2002. "Bivariate option pricing with copulas," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 69-85.
- Joshua V. Rosenberg, 2003. "Nonparametric pricing of multivariate contingent claims," Staff Reports 162, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Okimoto, Tatsuyoshi, 2008. "New Evidence of Asymmetric Dependence Structures in International Equity Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(03), pages 787-815, September.
- Kim, Young Shin & Rachev, Svetlozar T. & Bianchi, Michele Leonardo & Fabozzi, Frank J., 2008. "Financial market models with Lévy processes and time-varying volatility," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1363-1378, July.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Dempster, M.A.H. & Medova, Elena & Tang, Ke, 2008. "Long term spread option valuation and hedging," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2530-2540, December.
- Bouye, Eric & Durlleman, Valdo & Nikeghbali, Ashkan & Riboulet, Gaël & Roncalli, Thierry, 2000. "Copulas for finance," MPRA Paper 37359, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Chen, Ren-Raw & Cheng, Xiaolin & Fabozzi, Frank J. & Liu, Bo, 2008. "An Explicit, Multi-Factor Credit Default Swap Pricing Model with Correlated Factors," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(01), pages 123-160, March.
- Yunbi An & Wulin Suo, 2009. "An Empirical Comparison of Option-Pricing Models in Hedging Exotic Options," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(4), pages 889-914, December.
- Giannopoulos, Kostas, 2008. "Nonparametric, conditional pricing of higher order multivariate contingent claims," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1907-1915, September.
- Wang, Dezhong & Rachev, Svetlozar T. & Fabozzi, Frank J., 2009. "Pricing of credit default index swap tranches with one-factor heavy-tailed copula models," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 201-215, March.
- Khaliq, A.Q.M. & Voss, D.A. & Yousuf, M., 2007. "Pricing exotic options with L-stable Pade schemes," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 3438-3461, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)