Pricing multiasset equity options: How relevant is the dependence function?
In this paper we test how different choices for the dependence function can affect the prices of a set of multiasset equity options. We conduct the analysis for various 5-dimensional baskets of UK shares, and a wide range of payoffs for the multiasset options, consistent with the instruments traded on the market. We also test the relevance of the dependence specification over both volatile and quiet market scenarios. Interestingly, we find that, in most circumstances, the choice of a dependence structure richer than the standard linear correlation does not seem to affect option prices substantially. However, the dependence function becomes more relevant in particularly volatile market conditions.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua V. Rosenberg, 2003. "Nonparametric pricing of multivariate contingent claims," Staff Reports 162, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Elisa Luciano & Wim Schoutens, 2005.
"A Multivariate Jump-Driven Financial Asset Model,"
ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series
6-2005, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Antonio Cosma & email@example.com & Michel Beine & Robert Vermeulen, 2009.
"The Dark Side of Global Integration: Increasing Tail Dependence,"
LSF Research Working Paper Series
09-05, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Beine, Michel & Cosma, Antonio & Vermeulen, Robert, 2010. "The dark side of global integration: Increasing tail dependence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 184-192, January.
- Michel Beine & Antonio Cosma & Robert Vermeulen, 2008. "The Dark Side of Global Integration: Increasing Tail Dependence," CREA Discussion Paper Series 08-03, Center for Research in Economic Analysis, University of Luxembourg.
- Isabelle Huault & V. Perret & S. Charreire-Petit, 2007. "Management," Post-Print halshs-00337676, HAL.
- Yunbi An & Wulin Suo, 2009. "An Empirical Comparison of Option-Pricing Models in Hedging Exotic Options," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 38(4), pages 889-914, December.
- Khaliq, A.Q.M. & Voss, D.A. & Yousuf, M., 2007. "Pricing exotic options with L-stable Pade schemes," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(11), pages 3438-3461, November.
- van den Goorbergh, Rob W.J. & Genest, Christian & Werker, Bas J.M., 2005. "Bivariate option pricing using dynamic copula models," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 101-114, August.
- Giannopoulos, Kostas, 2008. "Nonparametric, conditional pricing of higher order multivariate contingent claims," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1907-1915, September.
- Zhang, Zhengjun & Shinki, Kazuhiko, 2007. "Extreme co-movements and extreme impacts in high frequency data in finance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1399-1415, May.
- Glasserman, Paul & Suchintabandid, Sira, 2007. "Correlation expansions for CDO pricing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 1375-1398, May.
- Wang, Dezhong & Rachev, Svetlozar T. & Fabozzi, Frank J., 2009. "Pricing of credit default index swap tranches with one-factor heavy-tailed copula models," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 201-215, March.
- Chen, Ren-Raw & Cheng, Xiaolin & Fabozzi, Frank J. & Liu, Bo, 2008. "An Explicit, Multi-Factor Credit Default Swap Pricing Model with Correlated Factors," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(01), pages 123-160, March.
- Okimoto, Tatsuyoshi, 2008. "New Evidence of Asymmetric Dependence Structures in International Equity Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(03), pages 787-815, September.
- Kim, Young Shin & Rachev, Svetlozar T. & Bianchi, Michele Leonardo & Fabozzi, Frank J., 2008. "Financial market models with Lévy processes and time-varying volatility," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(7), pages 1363-1378, July.
- Johnson, Herb, 1987. "Options on the Maximum or the Minimum of Several Assets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(03), pages 277-283, September.
- Christoph Schleicher & Mark Salmon, 2006. "Pricing Multivariate Currency Options with Copulas," Working Papers wp06-21, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- U. Cherubini & E. Luciano, 2002. "Bivariate option pricing with copulas," Applied Mathematical Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(2), pages 69-85.
- repec:sae:ecolab:v:16:y:2006:i:2:p:1-2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Joshua Rosenberg, 1999. "Semiparametric Pricing of Multivariate Contingent Claims," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 99-028, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Dempster, M.A.H. & Medova, Elena & Tang, Ke, 2008. "Long term spread option valuation and hedging," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2530-2540, December.
- Nikolay Nenovsky & S. Statev, 2006. "Introduction," Post-Print halshs-00260898, HAL.
- Bouye, Eric & Durlleman, Valdo & Nikeghbali, Ashkan & Riboulet, Gaël & Roncalli, Thierry, 2000. "Copulas for finance," MPRA Paper 37359, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cyril Caillault & Dominique Guegan, 2005.
"Empirical Estimation of Tail Dependence Using Copulas. Application to Asian Markets,"
- Cyril Caillault & Dominique Guegan, 2005. "Empirical estimation of tail dependence using copulas: application to Asian markets," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(5), pages 489-501.
- Andrew Harvey & Esther Ruiz & Neil Shephard, 1994. "Multivariate Stochastic Variance Models," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 61(2), pages 247-264.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:34:y:2010:i:4:p:788-801. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.