Conditionally fitted Sharpe performance with an application to hedge fund rating
We define a battery of Sharpe performance measures, which differ by the information taken into account in their computation, but also by the potential use of the fund by the investor. Four advantages of Sharpe performance based rating are especially important for the investor. First, the performance measures correspond to the standard measures used for mutual funds and known by retail investors. Second, we can compare the numerical results, even if they are obtained with different assumptions. Third, the rankings are based on regression analysis and easy to compute. Fourth, we can easily use these performance measures in the design of an optimal basket of hedge funds. Finally, we can use the performance measures to partition the set of funds into homogenous segments.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gourieroux, C. & Jouneau, F., 1999. "Econometrics of efficient fitted portfolios," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 87-118, January.
- Nandita Das, 2003. "Hedge Fund Classification using K-means Clustering Method," Computing in Economics and Finance 2003 284, Society for Computational Economics.
- Dybvig, Philip H & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. " The Analytics of Performance Measurement Using a Security Market Line," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 401-16, June.
- Agarwal, Vikas & Boyson, Nicole M. & Naik, Narayan Y., 2009. "Hedge Funds for Retail Investors? An Examination of Hedged Mutual Funds," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(02), pages 273-305, April.
- Son-Nan Chen & Cheng F. Lee, 1986. "The Effects of the Sample Size, the Investment Horizon and Market Conditions on the Validity of Composite Performance Measures: A Generalization," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(11), pages 1410-1421, November.
- Jobson, J. D. & Korkie, Bob, 1982. "Potential performance and tests of portfolio efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 433-466, December.
- Darolles, Serge & Gourieroux, Christian & Jasiak, Joann, 2009.
"L-performance with an application to hedge funds,"
Journal of Empirical Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 671-685, September.
- Jha, Ranjini & Korkie, Bob & Turtle, Harry J., 2009. "Measuring performance in a dynamic world: Conditional mean-variance fundamentals," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1851-1859, October.
- Chen, Zhiwu & Knez, Peter J, 1996.
"Portfolio Performance Measurement: Theory and Applications,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(2), pages 511-55.
- Peter J. Knez & Zhiwu Chen, 1998. "Portfolio Performance Measurement: Theory and Applications," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm48, Yale School of Management.
- Christian Pedersen & Stephen Satchell, 2002. "On the foundation of performance measures under asymmetric returns," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(3), pages 217-223.
- Farinelli, Simone & Ferreira, Manuel & Rossello, Damiano & Thoeny, Markus & Tibiletti, Luisa, 2008. "Beyond Sharpe ratio: Optimal asset allocation using different performance ratios," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2057-2063, October.
- Zakamouline, Valeri & Koekebakker, Steen, 2009. "Portfolio performance evaluation with generalized Sharpe ratios: Beyond the mean and variance," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 1242-1254, July.
- Jonathan Ingersoll & Ivo Welch, 2007.
"Portfolio Performance Manipulation and Manipulation-proof Performance Measures,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 20(5), pages 1503-1546, 2007 17.
- William Goetzmann & Jonathan Ingersoll & Matthew Spiegel & Ivo Welch, 2002. "Portfolio Performance Manipulation and Manipulation-Proof Performance Measures," Yale School of Management Working Papers amz2471, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Apr 2006.
- Harry. M Kat & Joelle Miffre, 2002. "Performance Evaluation and Conditioning Information: The case of Hedge Funds," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2002-10, Henley Business School, Reading University.
- Haim Levy, 1972. "Portfolio Performance and the Investment Horizon," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(12), pages B645-B653, August.
- Eling, Martin & Schuhmacher, Frank, 2007. "Does the choice of performance measure influence the evaluation of hedge funds?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 2632-2647, September.
- Ferson, Wayne E & Schadt, Rudi W, 1996. " Measuring Fund Strategy and Performance in Changing Economic Conditions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 425-61, June.
- Bawa, Vijay S., 1975. "Optimal rules for ordering uncertain prospects," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 95-121, March.
- Vikas Agarwal, 2004. "Risks and Portfolio Decisions Involving Hedge Funds," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 17(1), pages 63-98.
- Treynor, Jack L & Black, Fischer, 1973. "How to Use Security Analysis to Improve Portfolio Selection," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 46(1), pages 66-86, January.
- Levy, Haim & Levy, Moshe, 2009. "The safety first expected utility model: Experimental evidence and economic implications," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1494-1506, August.
- Wayne E. Ferson & Andrew F. Siegel, 2009. "Testing Portfolio Efficiency with Conditioning Information," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(7), pages 2535-2558, July.
- Grauer, Robert R. & Janmaat, Johannus A., 2009. "On the power of cross-sectional and multivariate tests of the CAPM," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 775-787, May.
- Rajna Gibson & Sébastien Gyger, 2007. "The Style Consistency of Hedge Funds," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(2), pages 287-308.
- Harry Markowitz, 1952. "Portfolio Selection," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 7(1), pages 77-91, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbfina:v:34:y:2010:i:3:p:578-593. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.