A demand model for domestic air travel in Sweden
This article analyses demand for domestic air travel in Sweden. Using aggregated data on passenger quantities and fares, price elasticities are estimated. The robustness of the results is enforced by simple division of business and leisure travellers. The analysis also includes estimates of cross-price elasticities for the main transport substitutes to air travel; rail and road. The results indicate that aggregated demand for domestic air travel in Sweden is fairly elastic in the short-run and more elastic in the long-run. The robustness test of the model show that leisure travellers are more sensitive to price changes than are business travellers. Further, the cross-price elasticity between rail and air travel is found to lie between 0.43 and 0.5.
Volume (Year): 20 (2012)
Issue (Month): C ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-air-transport-management/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Baffes, 1997. "Explaining stationary variables with non-stationary regressors," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 4(1), pages 69-75.
- Pagan, Adrian R & Wickens, M R, 1989. "A Survey of Some Recent Econometric Methods," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(398), pages 962-1025, December.
- Mason, Keith J., 2005. "Observations of fundamental changes in the demand for aviation services," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 19-25.
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Brons, Martijn & Pels, Eric & Nijkamp, Peter & Rietveld, Piet, 2002. "Price elasticities of demand for passenger air travel: a meta-analysis," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 165-175.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jaitra:v:20:y:2012:i:c:p:46-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.