Evaluating human life using court decisions on damages for pain and suffering
This paper provides a framework to evaluate human life based on civil court decisions on damages for pain and suffering. Using judgements from Germany and Austria over the last 25 years, we calculate an average Value of Damages for Pain and Suffering (VDPS) of about EUR 1.79 millions, with a minimum (maximum) of around EUR 0.67 (4.62) millions. Our approach also allows to calculate the value of body parts and body functions, which might be of interest if information on the benefit of an individual's change in life quality is not (entirely) available.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hannes Spengler & Sandra Schaffner, 2007.
"Using Job Changes to Evaluate the Bias of the Value of a Statistical Life,"
Ruhr Economic Papers
0014, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Hannes Spengler & Sandra Schaffner, 2007. "Using Job Changes to Evaluate the Bias of the Value of a Statistical Life," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 713, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Drummond, Michael F. & Sculpher, Mark J. & Torrance, George W. & O'Brien, Bernie J. & Stoddart, Greg L., 2005. "Methods for the Economic Evaluation of Health Care Programmes," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, edition 3, number 9780198529453, March.
- W. Viscusi, 2008. "How to value a life," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 311-323, October.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4742827 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anderson, J.M. & Kling, J.R. & Stith, K., 1999.
"Measuring Inter-Judge Sentencing Disparity Before and After the Federal Sentencing Guidelines,"
207, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Anderson, James M & Kling, Jeffrey R & Stith, Kate, 1999. "Measuring Interjedge Sentencing Disparity: Before and After the Federal Sentencing Guidelines," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(1), pages 271-307, April.
- James M. Anderson & Jeffrey R. Kling & Kate Stith, 1998. "Measuring Inter-judge Sentencing Disparity Before and After the Federal Sentencing Guidelines," Working Papers 153, Princeton University, Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, Discussion Papers in Economics..
- Johannesson, Magnus & Johansson, Per-Olov & O'Conor, Richard M, 1996.
"The Value of Private Safety versus the Value of Public Safety,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 263-75, November.
- Johannesson, Magnus & Johansson, Per-Olov & O'Conor, Richard M., 1996. "The Value of Private Safety versus the Value of Public Safety," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 103, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Jones-Lee, Michael W, 1974. "The Value of Changes in the Probability of Death or Injury," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(4), pages 835-49, July/Aug..
- W. Kip Viscusi & Joseph E. Aldy, 2003.
"The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World,"
NBER Working Papers
9487, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Viscusi, W Kip & Aldy, Joseph E, 2003. " The Value of a Statistical Life: A Critical Review of Market Estimates throughout the World," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 5-76, August.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-4742810 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lott, John R, Jr & Manning, Richard L, 2000. "Have Changing Liability Rules Compensated Workers Twice for Occupational Hazards? Earnings Premiums and Cancer Risks," The Journal of Legal Studies, University of Chicago Press, vol. 29(1), pages 99-130, January.
- Viscusi, W Kip, 1993. "The Value of Risks to Life and Health," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(4), pages 1912-46, December.
- Weinstein, Milton C & Shepard, Donald S & Pliskin, Joseph S, 1980. "The Economic Value of Changing Mortality Probabilities: A Decision-Theoretic Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(2), pages 373-96, March.
- repec:reg:rpubli:282 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:irlaec:v:32:y:2012:i:1:p:119-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.