Policy commitment, legal and regulatory framework, and institutional support for PPP in international comparison: Indexing countries’ readiness for taking up PPP
Abstract In this paper we develop an index of the governmental support for PPP – a ‘PPP Governmental Support Index’ - which aims to measure the extent to which national governments provide an institutional framework that is either conducive or preventive for the introduction and diffusion of PPPs within infrastructure. First, based on a substantive review of the literature we define the elements of the PPP Governmental Support Index, including the policy and political commitment regarding PPPs, the legal and regulatory framework regarding PPPs, as well as the presence/absence of PPP-supporting structures and instruments (PPP-units, procedures for project appraisal and green lightning, and standardization of instruments and contracts). Second, we calculate the ‘PPP Governmental Support’-index for 15 European countries, cluster them and compare similarities and differences in national institutional support of PPPs. Third, we present a first and preliminary exploration of a potential link between national institutional index scores and the number and capital value of implemented PPP projects. Lastly, we discuss the potential and usefulness as well as methodological limitations of the presented PPP Governmental Support Index and elaborate on how this index might be utilized to strengthen future comparative PPP research.
|Date of creation:||08 Apr 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +43 662 8044-3700
Fax: +43 662 8044-623
Web page: http://www.uni-salzburg.at/index.php?id=31318
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oberhofer, Harald & Philippovich, Tassilo & Winner, Hannes, 2010.
"Distance matters in away games: Evidence from the German football league,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 200-211, April.
- Oberhofer, Harald & Philippovich, Tassilo & Winner, Hannes, 2009. "Distance matters in away games: Evidence from the German Football League," Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2009-1, University of Salzburg.
- Leiter, Andrea & Thöni, Magdalena & Winner, Hannes, 2012.
"Evaluating human life using court decisions on damages for pain and suffering,"
International Review of Law and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 119-128.
- Leiter, Andrea M. & Thöni, Magdalena & Winner, Hannes, 2010. "Evaluating human life using court decisions on damages for pain and suffering," Working Papers in Economics and Finance 2010-11, University of Salzburg.
- Ronald W. McQuaid & Walter Scherrer, 2010. "Changing reasons for public--private partnerships (PPPs)," Public Money & Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(1), pages 27-34, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:sbgwpe:2014_003. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jörg Paetzold)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.