Constrained smoothing B-splines for the term structure of interest rates
The constrained smoothing B-splines (COBS) is proposed as a nonparametric approach to estimate the term structure of interest rate. Compared to the existing methods in the literature, COBS' main innovation lies in its incorporation of important constraints imposed by no-arbitrage, such as monotonically decreasing and boundary conditions for the discount function, positive forward and spot rates. In addition, by estimating the conditional median function, COBS is less sensible to outliers in reduced samples than other common methods in the literature. Estimation for high and low liquidity markets together with simulation exercises puts COBS in an intermediate position between usual parametric and nonparametric methods in the literature. It has more flexibility than parametric methods and, compared to other nonparametric methods, satisfies no-arbitrage constraints and generates parsimonious shapes of the term structure of interest rates.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barzanti, Luca & Corradi, Corrado, 1998. "Erratum to: "A note on interest rate term structure estimation using tension splines" [Insurance: Mathematics and Economics 22 (1998) 139-143]," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 179-180, November.
- Barzanti, Luca & Corradi, Corrado, 1998. "A note on interest rate term structure estimation using tension splines," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 139-143, June.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1994.
"Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992 - 1994,"
NBER Working Papers
4871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Foreward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-1994," Papers 579, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-1994," IMF Working Papers 94/114, International Monetary Fund.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-4," CEPR Discussion Papers 1051, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521845731 is not listed on IDEAS
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- McCulloch, J Huston, 1971.
"Measuring the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 19-31, January.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to estimate term structure with cubic splines," Statistical Software Components RTZ00019, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pham, Toan M., 1998. "Estimation of the term structure of interest rates: an international perspective," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2-3), pages 265-283, September.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521608275 is not listed on IDEAS
- Shea, Gary S., 1984. "Pitfalls in Smoothing Interest Rate Term Structure Data: Equilibrium Models and Spline Approximations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(03), pages 253-269, September.
- Bosch, Ronald J. & Ye, Yinyu & Woodworth, George G., 1995. "A convergent algorithm for quantile regression with smoothing splines," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 613-630, June.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Jefferson Duarte, 2002.
"Nonparametric Option Pricing under Shape Restrictions,"
NBER Working Papers
8944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Duarte, Jefferson, 2003. "Nonparametric option pricing under shape restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 9-47.
- Jarrow, Robert & Ruppert, David & Yu, Yan, 2004. "Estimating the Interest Rate Term Structure of Corporate Debt With a Semiparametric Penalized Spline Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 57-66, January.
- Vasicek, Oldrich A & Fong, H Gifford, 1982. " Term Structure Modeling Using Exponential Splines," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(2), pages 339-48, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:46:y:2010:i:2:p:339-350. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.