Constrained smoothing B-splines for the term structure of interest rates
The constrained smoothing B-splines (COBS) is proposed as a nonparametric approach to estimate the term structure of interest rate. Compared to the existing methods in the literature, COBS' main innovation lies in its incorporation of important constraints imposed by no-arbitrage, such as monotonically decreasing and boundary conditions for the discount function, positive forward and spot rates. In addition, by estimating the conditional median function, COBS is less sensible to outliers in reduced samples than other common methods in the literature. Estimation for high and low liquidity markets together with simulation exercises puts COBS in an intermediate position between usual parametric and nonparametric methods in the literature. It has more flexibility than parametric methods and, compared to other nonparametric methods, satisfies no-arbitrage constraints and generates parsimonious shapes of the term structure of interest rates.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- HÄRDLE, Wolfgang, 1992.
"Applied nonparametric methods,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1992003, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9206, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Wolfgang Hardle & Oliver Linton, 1994. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1069, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Härdle, W.K., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Discussion Paper 1992-6, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hardle, W., 1992. "Applied Nonparametric Methods," Papers 9204, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1994.
"Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992 - 1994,"
NBER Working Papers
4871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates; Sweden 1992-1994," IMF Working Papers 94/114, International Monetary Fund.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Foreward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-1994," Papers 579, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Jarrow, Robert & Ruppert, David & Yu, Yan, 2004. "Estimating the Interest Rate Term Structure of Corporate Debt With a Semiparametric Penalized Spline Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 57-66, January.
- McCulloch, J Huston, 1971.
"Measuring the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 19-31, January.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to estimate term structure with cubic splines," Statistical Software Components RTZ00019, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Shea, Gary S., 1984. "Pitfalls in Smoothing Interest Rate Term Structure Data: Equilibrium Models and Spline Approximations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(03), pages 253-269, September.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Jefferson Duarte, 2002.
"Nonparametric Option Pricing under Shape Restrictions,"
NBER Working Papers
8944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Duarte, Jefferson, 2003. "Nonparametric option pricing under shape restrictions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 9-47.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Barzanti, Luca & Corradi, Corrado, 1998. "A note on interest rate term structure estimation using tension splines," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 139-143, June.
- Bosch, Ronald J. & Ye, Yinyu & Woodworth, George G., 1995. "A convergent algorithm for quantile regression with smoothing splines," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 613-630, June.
- Barzanti, Luca & Corradi, Corrado, 1998. "Erratum to: "A note on interest rate term structure estimation using tension splines" [Insurance: Mathematics and Economics 22 (1998) 139-143]," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 179-180, November.
- Vasicek, Oldrich A & Fong, H Gifford, 1982. " Term Structure Modeling Using Exponential Splines," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(2), pages 339-48, May.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-4," CEPR Discussion Papers 1051, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pham, Toan M., 1998. "Estimation of the term structure of interest rates: an international perspective," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2-3), pages 265-283, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:46:y:2010:i:2:p:339-350. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.