Constrained smoothing B-splines for the term structure of interest rates
The constrained smoothing B-splines (COBS) is proposed as a nonparametric approach to estimate the term structure of interest rate. Compared to the existing methods in the literature, COBS' main innovation lies in its incorporation of important constraints imposed by no-arbitrage, such as monotonically decreasing and boundary conditions for the discount function, positive forward and spot rates. In addition, by estimating the conditional median function, COBS is less sensible to outliers in reduced samples than other common methods in the literature. Estimation for high and low liquidity markets together with simulation exercises puts COBS in an intermediate position between usual parametric and nonparametric methods in the literature. It has more flexibility than parametric methods and, compared to other nonparametric methods, satisfies no-arbitrage constraints and generates parsimonious shapes of the term structure of interest rates.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ait-Sahalia, Yacine & Duarte, Jefferson, 2003.
"Nonparametric option pricing under shape restrictions,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 116(1-2), pages 9-47.
- Yacine Ait-Sahalia & Jefferson Duarte, 2002. "Nonparametric Option Pricing under Shape Restrictions," NBER Working Papers 8944, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pham, Toan M., 1998. "Estimation of the term structure of interest rates: an international perspective," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(2-3), pages 265-283, September.
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-4," CEPR Discussion Papers 1051, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jarrow, Robert & Ruppert, David & Yu, Yan, 2004. "Estimating the Interest Rate Term Structure of Corporate Debt With a Semiparametric Penalized Spline Model," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 99, pages 57-66, January.
- Barzanti, Luca & Corradi, Corrado, 1998. "A note on interest rate term structure estimation using tension splines," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 139-143, June.
- Bosch, Ronald J. & Ye, Yinyu & Woodworth, George G., 1995. "A convergent algorithm for quantile regression with smoothing splines," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 613-630, June.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1994.
"Estimating and Interpreting Foreward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992-1994,"
579, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Lars E. O. Svensson, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates; Sweden 1992-1994," IMF Working Papers 94/114, International Monetary Fund.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1994. "Estimating and Interpreting Forward Interest Rates: Sweden 1992 - 1994," NBER Working Papers 4871, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barzanti, Luca & Corradi, Corrado, 1998. "Erratum to: "A note on interest rate term structure estimation using tension splines" [Insurance: Mathematics and Economics 22 (1998) 139-143]," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 179-180, November.
- McCulloch, J Huston, 1971.
"Measuring the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 44(1), pages 19-31, January.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to estimate term structure with cubic splines," Statistical Software Components RTZ00019, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Koenker,Roger, 2005.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521845731, November.
- Shea, Gary S., 1984. "Pitfalls in Smoothing Interest Rate Term Structure Data: Equilibrium Models and Spline Approximations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(03), pages 253-269, September.
- Vasicek, Oldrich A & Fong, H Gifford, 1982. " Term Structure Modeling Using Exponential Splines," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(2), pages 339-48, May.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:insuma:v:46:y:2010:i:2:p:339-350. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.