Information in Cournot: Signaling with incomplete control
We embed signaling in the classical Cournot model in which several firms sell a homogeneous good. The quality is known to all the firms, but only to some buyers. The quantity-setting firms can manipulate the price to signal quality. Because there is only one price in a market for a homogeneous good, each firm incompletely controls the price-signal through the quantity decision. We characterize the unique signaling Cournot equilibrium in which the price signals quality to the uninformed buyers. We then compare the signaling Cournot equilibrium with the full-information Cournot equilibrium. Signaling is shown to increase the equilibrium price. Moreover, under certain conditions regarding the composition of buyers, the number of firms, and the distribution of costs across firms, the effects of signaling and market externality cancel each other. In other words, the profits under signaling Cournot equal the profits of a cartel in a full-information environment.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 30 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505551|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aghion Philippe & Bolton, Patrick & Harris Christopher & Jullien Bruno, 1991.
"Optimal learning by experimentation,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Mirman,Leonard & Samuelson,Larry & Urbano,Amparo, "undated".
"Duopoly signal jamming,"
Discussion Paper Serie B
199, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Riordan, Michael H, 1991.
"High and Declining Prices Signal Product Quality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 224-239, March.
- Mirman, L.J. & Samuelson, L. & Schlee, E.E., 1991.
"Strategic information manipulation in duopolies,"
1991-37, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Mirman, L.J. & Samuelson, L. & Schlee, E.E., 1992. "Strategic Information Manipulation in Duopolies," Working papers 9210, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Mirman, L.J. & Samuelson, L. & Schlee, E.E., 1991. "Strategic Information Manupulation in Duopolies," Papers 9137, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Anderson, Simon P & Renault, Regis, 2000.
"Consumer Information and Firm Pricing: Negative Externalities from Improved Information,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 41(3), pages 721-742, August.
- Simon P. Anderson & Regis Renault, 1997. "Consumer Information and Firm Pricing: Negative Externalities from Improved Information," Virginia Economics Online Papers 338, University of Virginia, Department of Economics.
- Jennifer F. Reinganum & Andrew F. Daughety, 2004.
"Secrecy and Safety,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
53, Econometric Society.
- Andrew Daughety & Jennifer Reinganum, "undated". "Secrecy and Safety," American Law & Economics Association Annual Meetings 1039, American Law & Economics Association.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2003. "Secrecy and Safety," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0317, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics, revised Sep 2003.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, September.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2007.
"Communicating Quality: A Unified Model of Disclosure and Signaling,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0703, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2008. "Communicating quality: a unified model of disclosure and signalling," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(4), pages 973-989.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2008.
"Imperfect competition and quality signalling,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
RAND Corporation, vol. 39(1), pages 163-183.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2005. "Imperfect Competition and Quality Signaling," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0520, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Fabio Caldieraro & Dongsoo Shin & Andrew Stivers, 2011. "Voluntary Quality Disclosure under Price‐Signaling Competition," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32, pages 493-504, December.
- Milgrom, Paul & Roberts, John, 1986.
"Price and Advertising Signals of Product Quality,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 796-821, August.
- Maarten C.W. Janssen & Santanu Roy, 2007.
"Signaling Quality Through Prices in an Oligopoly,"
Departmental Working Papers
0709, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2008.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Richard E. Kihlstrom & Leonard J. Mirman, 1977. "A Bayesian Approach to the Production of Information and Learning By Doing," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(3), pages 533-547.
- Andrew F. Daughety & Jennifer F. Reinganum, 2004.
"Competition and Confidentiality: Signaling Quality in a Duopoly when there is Universal Private Information,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0417, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Daughety, Andrew F. & Reinganum, Jennifer F., 2007. "Competition and confidentiality: Signaling quality in a duopoly when there is universal private information," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 94-120, January.
- Joseph E. Harrington Jr., 1987. "Oligopolistic Entry Deterrence under Incomplete Information," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(2), pages 211-231, Summer.
- Koulovatianos, Christos & Mirman, Leonard J. & Santugini, Marc, 2009.
"Optimal growth and uncertainty: Learning,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 280-295, January.
- Christos Koulovatianos & Leonard J. Mirman & Marc Santugini, 2007. "Optimal Growth and Uncertainty: Learning," Cahiers de recherche 07-05, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée, revised Feb 2008.
- Christos Koulovatianos, & Leonard J. Mirman & Marc Santugini, "undated". "Optimal Growth and Uncertainty: Learning," Discussion Papers 08/08, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Ramon Caminal & Xavier Vives, 1996. "Why Market Shares Matter: An Information-Based Theory," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(2), pages 221-239, Summer.
- Asher Wolinsky, 1983. "Prices as Signals of Product Quality," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(4), pages 647-658.
- Michael H. Riordan, 1985. "Imperfect Information and Dynamic Conjectural Variations," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(1), pages 41-50, Spring.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:indorg:v:30:y:2012:i:4:p:361-370. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.