Multinational manufacturing subsidiaries in Scotland: Strategic role and economic impact
This paper analyses and evaluates the roles played by Scottish affiliates of manufacturing multinational corporations, makes a brief assessment of their overall impact on the Scottish economy, and indicates a changed agenda for policy makers. A number of determinants of subsidiary strategy are tested and validated, and an initial attempt is made to describe pattern of evolution in subsidiary strategy. The difficulties involved in creating linkages between research-derived typologies of corporate and subsidiary strategy are highlighted, and the key role of R&D as a determinant of strategy evolution at subsidiary level is again emphasized.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 5 (1996)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1981. "Qualitative Response Models: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 1483-1536, December.
- Young, S & Hood N & Hamill J, 1985. "Decision-making in foreign-owned multinational subsidiaries in the United Kingdom," ILO Working Papers 239505, International Labour Organization.
- Jon I Martinez & J Carlos Jarillo, 1991. "Coordination Demands of International Strategies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(3), pages 429-444, September.
- Kendall Roth & Allen J Morrison, 1990. "An Empirical Analysis of the Integration-Responsiveness Framework in Global Industries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(4), pages 541-564, December.
- Kendall Roth & Allen J Morrison, 1992. "Implementing Global Strategy: Characteristics of Global Subsidiary Mandates," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 715-735, December.
- Hood, N & Young, S, 1976. "U.S. Investment in Scotland-Aspects of the Branch Factory Syndrome," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 23(3), pages 279-94, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:5:y:1996:i:5:p:447-468. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.