Multinational manufacturing subsidiaries in Scotland: Strategic role and economic impact
This paper analyses and evaluates the roles played by Scottish affiliates of manufacturing multinational corporations, makes a brief assessment of their overall impact on the Scottish economy, and indicates a changed agenda for policy makers. A number of determinants of subsidiary strategy are tested and validated, and an initial attempt is made to describe pattern of evolution in subsidiary strategy. The difficulties involved in creating linkages between research-derived typologies of corporate and subsidiary strategy are highlighted, and the key role of R&D as a determinant of strategy evolution at subsidiary level is again emphasized.
Volume (Year): 5 (1996)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kendall Roth & Allen J Morrison, 1990. "An Empirical Analysis of the Integration-Responsiveness Framework in Global Industries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(4), pages 541-564, December.
- Young, S & Hood N & Hamill J, 1985. "Decision-making in foreign-owned multinational subsidiaries in the United Kingdom," ILO Working Papers 239505, International Labour Organization.
- Kendall Roth & Allen J Morrison, 1992. "Implementing Global Strategy: Characteristics of Global Subsidiary Mandates," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 715-735, December.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1981. "Qualitative Response Models: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 1483-1536, December.
- Jon I Martinez & J Carlos Jarillo, 1991. "Coordination Demands of International Strategies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(3), pages 429-444, September.
- Hood, N & Young, S, 1976. "U.S. Investment in Scotland-Aspects of the Branch Factory Syndrome," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 23(3), pages 279-94, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:5:y:1996:i:5:p:447-468. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.