50 years of research on international standardization and adaptation--From a systematic literature analysis to a theoretical framework
When going and operating abroad, firms face the challenge of finding the optimal balance between standardizing and adapting their marketing strategies across national borders in order to be successful. In this contribution, we present the major results of a systematic literature analysis in the field of international marketing standardization/adaptation. Based on our findings, we introduce a theoretical framework combined with the concept of situation-strategy fit. This framework serves as a basis for providing theoretically grounded and empirically testable recommendations regarding performance-enhancing strategies of international product standardization/adaptation in given situations. We argue that a high degree of international product standardization is likely to enhance foreign product profit, as compared to all alternative strategies, if there is (1) a high cross-national homogeneity of demand, (2) a high potential for cross-national economies of scale, (3) a high cost of product modification, (4) a high foreign price elasticity of demand, (5) a small perceptual error of the managers, and (6) a high quality of strategy execution. By presenting the state-of-the-art knowledge in the field and by introducing a novel theoretical framework, our paper has important implications for both scholars and managers in the fields of international marketing and international business.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John H Dunning & Masataka Fujita & Nevena Yakova, 2007. "Some macro-data on the regionalisation/globalisation debate: a comment on the Rugman/Verbeke analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 38(1), pages 177-199, January.
- Pankaj Ghemawat, 2003. "Semiglobalization and international business strategy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 34(2), pages 138-152, March.
- Theodosiou, Marios & Leonidou, Leonidas C., 2003. "Standardization versus adaptation of international marketing strategy: an integrative assessment of the empirical research," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 141-171, April.
- Fung, Michael K., 2009. "Financial development and economic growth: Convergence or divergence?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 56-67, February.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C. & Katsikeas, Constantine S. & Samiee, Saeed, 2002. "Marketing strategy determinants of export performance: a meta-analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 51-67, January.
- Frank Asche & Subal C. Kumbhakar & Ragnar Tveterås, 2007. "Testing cost vs. profit function," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(10), pages 715-718.
- Shoham, Aviv & Albaum, Gerald, 1994. "The effects of transfer of marketing methods on export performance: an empirical examination," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 219-241, September.
- Bianchi, Constanza C. & Ostale, Enrique, 2006. "Lessons learned from unsuccessful internationalization attempts: Examples of multinational retailers in Chile," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 140-147, January.
- Douglas Dow, 2006. "Adaptation and performance in foreign markets: evidence of systematic under-adaptation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 37(2), pages 212-226, March.
- Calantone, Roger J. & Kim, Daekwan & Schmidt, Jeffrey B. & Cavusgil, S. Tamer, 2006. "The influence of internal and external firm factors on international product adaptation strategy and export performance: A three-country comparison," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 176-185, February.
- Sousa, Carlos M.P. & Bradley, Frank, 2008. "Antecedents of international pricing adaptation and export performance," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 307-320, July.
- Lewis K S Lim & Frank Acito & Alexander Rusetski, 2006. "Development of archetypes of international marketing strategy," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 37(4), pages 499-524, July.
- Alan M. Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004.
"A Perspective on Regional and Global Strategies of Multinational Enterprises,"
2004-19, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004. "A perspective on regional and global strategies of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 35(1), pages 3-18, January.
- H. Leibenstein, 1950. "Bandwagon, Snob, and Veblen Effects in the Theory of Consumers' Demand," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(2), pages 183-207.
- Boddewyn, J. J. & Soehl, Robin & Picard, Jacques, 1986. "Standardization in international marketing: Is Ted Levitt in fact right?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 69-75.
- Gabrielsson, P. & Gabrielsson, M., 2004. "Globalizing internationals: business portfolio and marketing strategies in the ICT field," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 661-684, December.
- Okazaki, Shintaro & Taylor, Charles R. & Doh, Jonathan P., 2007. "Market convergence and advertising standardization in the European Union," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 384-400, December.
- R Eugene Klippel & Robert J Boewadt, 1974. "Attitude Measurement as a Strategy Determinant for Standardization of Multinational Advertising Formats," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 5(1), pages 39-50, March.
- Subal Kumbhakar, 2002. "Productivity measurement: a profit function approach," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(5), pages 331-334.
- Steven M. Shugan, 2002. "In Search of Data: An Editorial," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(4), pages 369-377.
- Simon, Herbert A, 1978. "Rationality as Process and as Product of Thought," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 1-16, May.
- Bagwell, Laurie Simon & Bernheim, B Douglas, 1996. "Veblen Effects in a Theory of Conspicuous Consumption," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 349-373, June.
- Rajdeep Grewal & Murali Chandrashekaran & F. Robert Dwyer, 2008. "Navigating Local Environments with Global Strategies: A Contingency Model of Multinational Subsidiary Performance," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 27(5), pages 886-902, 09-10.
- Michelle Baddeley, 2006. "Convergence or Divergence? The Impacts of Globalisation on Growth and Inequality in Less Developed Countries," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(3), pages 391-410.
- James J Ward, 1973. "Product and Promotion Adaptation by European Firms in the U.S," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 4(1), pages 79-85, March.
- Walters, Peter G.P. & Whitla, Paul & Davies, Howard, 2008. "Global strategy in the international advertising industry," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 235-249, June.
- G Tomas M Hult & David J Ketchen & David A Griffith & Brian R Chabowski & Mary K Hamman & Bernadine Johnson Dykes & Wesley A Pollitte & S Tamer Cavusgil, 2008. "An assessment of the measurement of performance in international business research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 39(6), pages 1064-1080, September.
- Proff, H., 2002. "Business unit strategies between regionalisation and globalisation," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 231-250, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:20:y:2011:i:5:p:491-507. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.