Host country institutional pressures and cross-border relationship governance
This study examines the effects of transaction cost, strategic positioning and institutional factors on the governance of international relationships. A firm's product differentiation strategy and export market ethnocentricity are identified as antecedents to specific investments, whereas state influences in the export market are identified as an antecedent to relationship governance. The hypotheses are empirically tested on a sample of 160 international business-to-business relationships. The results show that both product differentiation and export market ethnocentricity impact the level of specific investments, and state influences make it difficult to use both formal contracting and relational norms as governance mechanisms. Furthermore, specific investments made by the supplier are positively related to formal contracting, and product differentiation is positively related to relational norms.
Volume (Year): 20 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter S Davis & Ashay B Desai & John D Francis, 2000. "Mode of International Entry: An Isomorphism Perspective," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 31(2), pages 239-258, June.
- De Clercq, Dirk & Danis, Wade M. & Dakhli, Mourad, 2010. "The moderating effect of institutional context on the relationship between associational activity and new business activity in emerging economies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 85-101, February.
- Gary L. Lilien, 1979. "Exceptional Paper--ADVISOR 2: Modeling the Marketing Mix Decision for Industrial Products," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 25(2), pages 191-204, February.
- C Zhang & S T Cavusgil & A S Roath, 2003. "Manufacturer governance of foreign distributor relationships: do relational norms enhance competitiveness in the export market?," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 34(6), pages 550-566, November.
- Canabal, Anne & White III, George O., 2008. "Entry mode research: Past and future," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 267-284, June.
- Preet S Aulakh & Masaaki Kotabe, 1997. "Antecedents and Performance Implications of Channel Integration in Foreign Markets," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 28(1), pages 145-175, March.
- Erin Anderson, 1985. "The Salesperson as Outside Agent or Employee: A Transaction Cost Analysis," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 4(3), pages 234-254.
- Nygaard, Arne & Dahlstrom, Robert, 1992. "Multinational company strategy and host country policy," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 3-13.
- Cheng, Hsiang-Lin & Yu, Chow-Ming Joseph, 2008. "Institutional pressures and initiation of internationalization: Evidence from Taiwanese small- and medium-sized enterprises," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 331-348, June.
- Tseng, Chiung-Hui & Lee, Ruby P., 2010. "Host environmental uncertainty and equity-based entry mode dilemma: The role of market linking capability," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 407-418, August.
- Jonsson, Sara & Lindbergh, Jessica, 2010. "The impact of institutional impediments and information and knowledge exchange on SMEs' investments in international business relationships," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 548-561, December.
- Gatignon, Hubert & Anderson, Erin, 1988. "The Multinational Corporation's Degree of Control over Foreign Subsidiaries: An Empirical Test of a Transaction Cost Explanation," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(2), pages 305-36, Fall.
- Keith D Brouthers, 2002. "Institutional, Cultural and Transaction Cost Influences on Entry Mode Choice and Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 33(2), pages 203-221, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:iburev:v:20:y:2011:i:3:p:324-337. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.