The impact of sovereign rating changes and financial contagion on stock market returns: Evidence from five Asian countries
This paper investigates the significance of changes in foreign currency sovereign credit ratings for both domestic and cross-country stock market returns of five Asian countries during the period from January 1990 to March 2003. Using the changes in sovereign credit ratings announced by Standard & Poor's, the panel estimation finds that stock returns in the Asian countries are affected by sovereign rating changes in their own and in other Asian countries. The credit rating agencies do not show strong evidence of pro-market-performance behavior during the 1997 Asian financial crisis. However, the contagion effect was found to exist in the sense that rating changes in one country affect stock market returns in other crisis-hit countries, which suggests that sovereign credit rating changes functioned as an additional channel of international financial contagion during the 1997 Asian financial crises.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hand, John R M & Holthausen, Robert W & Leftwich, Richard W, 1992. " The Effect of Bond Rating Agency Announcements on Bond and Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 733-52, June.
- Kish, Richard J. & Hogan, Karen M. & Olson, Gerard, 1999. "Does the market perceive a difference in rating agencies?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 363-377.
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Leftwich, Richard W., 1986. "The effect of bond rating changes on common stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 57-89, September.
- Chiang, Thomas C. & Jeon, Bang Nam & Li, Huimin, 2007. "Dynamic correlation analysis of financial contagion: Evidence from Asian markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1206-1228, November.
- Goh, Jeremy C & Ederington, Louis H, 1993. " Is a Bond Rating Downgrade Bad News, Good News, or No News for Stockholders?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 2001-08, December.
- Helmut Reisen & Julia von Maltzan, 1999.
"Boom and Bust and Sovereign Ratings,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
148, OECD Publishing.
- Chen, Cathy W. S. & Chiang, Thomas C. & So, Mike K. P., 2003. "Asymmetrical reaction to US stock-return news: evidence from major stock markets based on a double-threshold model," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 55(5-6), pages 487-502.
- Griffin, Paul A & Sanvicente, Antonio Z, 1982. " Common Stock Returns and Rating Changes: A Methodological Comparison," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(1), pages 103-19, March.
- Zaima, Janis K & McCarthy, Joseph E, 1988. "The Impact of Bond Rating Changes on Common Stocks and Bonds: Tests of the Wealth Redistribution Hypothesis," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 23(4), pages 483-98, November.
- Brooks, Robert & Faff, Robert W. & Hillier, David & Hillier, Joseph, 2004. "The national market impact of sovereign rating changes," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 233-250, January.
- Sy, Amadou N.R., 2004.
"Rating the rating agencies: Anticipating currency crises or debt crises?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 28(11), pages 2845-2867, November.
- Amadou N. R. Sy, 2003. "Rating the Rating Agencies; Anticipating Currency Crises or Debt Crises," IMF Working Papers 03/122, International Monetary Fund.
- Roman Kraeussl, 2000. "Sovereign Ratings and Their Impact on Recent Financial Crises," Working Papers 0002, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer, 1996.
"Determinants and impacts of sovereign credit ratings,"
9608, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Richard Cantor & Frank Packer, 1996. "Determinants and impact of sovereign credit ratings," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Oct, pages 37-53.
- Bissoondoyal-Bheenick, Emawtee, 2004. "Rating timing differences between the two leading agencies: Standard and Poor's and Moody's," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 361-378, September.
- Guillermo Larraín & Helmut Reisen & Julia von Maltzan, 1997. "Emerging Market Risk and Sovereign Credit Ratings," OECD Development Centre Working Papers 124, OECD Publishing.
- Jorge A. Chan-Lau & Iryna V. Ivaschenko, 2002. "Asian Flu or Wall Street Virus? Price and Volatility Spillovers of the Tech and Non-Tech Sectors in the United States and Asia," IMF Working Papers 02/154, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:glofin:v:19:y:2008:i:1:p:46-55. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.