From the 1997-98 Asian financial crisis to the 2008-09 global economic crisis: lessons from Korea’s experience
East Asian countries were hit hard by the financial crisis in 1997 and have shown significant and remarkable recovery with far-reaching economic and regulatory reforms since then. A decade later, the Asian countries are suffering again from the on-going global economic crises beginning in the summer of 2007. If this current crisis is not managed effectively, the Asian economic situation could escalate into a more serious crisis mode than that of 1997-8. Due to the increased globalization of financial markets, crises tend to become more severe and contagious even if the effected countries have strong macroeconomic fundamentals. This paper focuses on the Korean economy, which experienced the hardest crisis hit as well as most successful recovery from the 1997 crisis, and discusses interrelated and general policy lessons from the 1997 and 2008 crises to help prevent from the reoccurrence of similar financial crises and economic downturns in the future. Specific lessons, among many, to be analyzed in this paper are drawn on 1) monitoring international capital flows and conducting better international debt management, 2) maintaining a competitive, efficient and well-regulated financial system to be protected from international contagion, 3) establishing an effective nonperforming asset management mechanism, such as the Korea Asset Management Corporation (KAMCO) of Korea, and 4) enhancing regional financial cooperation among the East Asian countries, like a renewed Chiang Mai Initiative, to provide a short-term liquidity support, defend Asian currencies from speculative attack, and assist long-term economic growth in the East Asian region. In deriving the main policy lessons, both the commonalities and uniqueness of the two crises-old in 1997 and new in 2008-are examined from the perspective of the Korean economy.
|Date of creation:||01 Feb 2012|
|Publication status:||Published in East Asia Law Review 1.5(2010): pp. 103-159|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Velasco, A. & Chang, R., 1998.
"The Asian Liquidity Crisis,"
98-27, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Graciela L. Kaminsky, 1999.
"The Twin Crises: The Causes of Banking and Balance-of-Payments Problems,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 473-500, June.
- Graciela L. Kaminsky & Carmen M. Reinhart, 1996. "The twin crises: the causes of banking and balance-of-payments problems," International Finance Discussion Papers 544, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 1999. "The twin crises: The causes of banking and balance of payments problems," MPRA Paper 14081, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Kaminsky, Graciela, 2000.
"Las crisis gemelas: las causas de los problemas bancarios y de balanza de pagos
[The twin crises: Te causes of banking and balance of payments problems]," MPRA Paper 13842, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008.
"This Time is Different: A Panoramic View of Eight Centuries of Financial Crises,"
CEMA Working Papers
595, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2014. "This Time is Different: A Panoramic View of Eight Centuries of Financial Crises," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 15(2), pages 1065-1188, November.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2008. "This Time is Different: A Panoramic View of Eight Centuries of Financial Crises," NBER Working Papers 13882, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1999.
"Lessons from the Asian crisis,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 709-723, August.
- Li, Huimin & Jeon, Bang Nam & Cho, Seong-Yeon & Chiang, Thomas C., 2008. "The impact of sovereign rating changes and financial contagion on stock market returns: Evidence from five Asian countries," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 46-55.
- Jeon, Bang Nam & Zhang, Hongfang, 2007. "A currency union or an exchange rate union: evidence from Northeast Asia," MPRA Paper 36622, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 01 Feb 2012.
- Lee, Keun & Lee, Chung H., 2008. "The miracle to crisis and the mirage of the postcrisis reform in Korea: Assessment after ten years," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(5-6), pages 425-437.
- Jeon, Bang Nam, 2012. "Progress and prospects of regional financial arrangements and cooperation in East Asia: a critical survey," MPRA Paper 36621, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:36469. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.