Exploring the interlinkages between governance and social capital: A dynamic model for forestry
The concept of social capital within the forest governance field encompasses networks, norms and values of local communities that determine cooperation and contribute to their development. Interlinkages among community characteristics affecting the implementation of governance arrangements, forest policy instruments or traditional social norms are untangled; this enlightens policy-makers and practitioners about the variables requiring attention beyond traditional technical factors or individual incentives. Through the review of social capital (SC) and forest governance literature, we find network structure and institutions as their common core aspects. Theoretical relationships and feedbacks are first identified, and then checked in published forestry case studies.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuel Bowles & Herbert Gintis, 2002.
"Social Capital and Community Governance,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 419-436, November.
- Samuel Bowles & Herbert Gintis, 2001. "Social Capital and Community Governance," Working Papers 01-01-003, Santa Fe Institute.
- Arts, Bas, 2012. "Forests policy analysis and theory use: Overview and trends," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(C), pages 7-13.
- Pretty, Jules & Ward, Hugh, 2001. "Social Capital and the Environment," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 209-227, February.
- Vivien Lowndes & David Wilson, 2001. "Social Capital and Local Governance: Exploring the Institutional Design Variable," Political Studies, Political Studies Association, vol. 49(4), pages 629-647, 09.
- Schmid, A. Allan & Robison, Lindon J., 1995. "Applications Of Social Capital Theory," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(01), July.
- Allan Schmid, A. & Robison, Lindon J., 1995. "Applications of Social Capital Theory," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(01), pages 59-66, July.
- Chand, Narendra & Kerr, Geoffrey N. & Bigsby, Hugh, 2015. "Production efficiency of community forest management in Nepal," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 172-179.
- Secco, Laura & Da Re, Riccardo & Pettenella, Davide Matteo & Gatto, Paola, 2014. "Why and how to measure forest governance at local level: A set of indicators," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 57-71.
- Peter R Wilshusen, 2009. "Shades of social capital: elite persistence and the everyday politics of community forestry in southeastern Mexico," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 41(2), pages 389-406, February.
- Borg, Riikka & Toikka, Arho & Primmer, Eeva, 2015. "Social capital and governance: a social network analysis of forest biodiversity collaboration in Central Finland," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 90-97.
- Paldam, Martin & Svendsen, Gert Tinggaard, 2000. "An essay on social capital: looking for the fire behind the smoke," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 339-366, June.
- Narayan, Deepa & Pritchett, Lant, 1999. "Cents and Sociability: Household Income and Social Capital in Rural Tanzania," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(4), pages 871-897, July.
- Narayan, Deepa & Pritchett, Lant, 1997. "Cents and sociability : household income and social capital in rural Tanzania," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1796, The World Bank.
- Vatn, Arild, 2010. "An institutional analysis of payments for environmental services," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(6), pages 1245-1252, April.
- Gerardo Patriotta, 2003. "Sensemaking on the Shop Floor: Narratives of Knowledge in Organizations," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 349-375, 03.
- Kaufmann, Daniel & Kraay, Aart & Mastruzzi, Massimo, 2010. "The worldwide governance indicators : methodology and analytical issues," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5430, The World Bank.
- Ishihara, Hiroe & Pascual, Unai, 2009. "Social capital in community level environmental governance: A critique," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(5), pages 1549-1562, March.
- Coggan, Anthea & Whitten, Stuart M. & Bennett, Jeff, 2010. "Influences of transaction costs in environmental policy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(9), pages 1777-1784, July.
- Peter R Wilshusen, 2009. "Shades of Social Capital: Elite Persistence and the Everyday Politics of Community Forestry in Southeastern Mexico," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 41(2), pages 389-406, February.
- Guillén, Luis Andrés & Wallin, Ida & Brukas, Vilis, 2015. "Social capital in small-scale forestry: A local case study in Southern Sweden," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(C), pages 21-28.
- H. Carolyn Peach Brown & James P. Lassoie & Steven A. Wolf, 2007. "An analytic approach to structuring coâ€“management of community forests in Cameroon," Progress in Development Studies, , vol. 7(2), pages 135-154, April.
- Gibson, Clark C. & Williams, John T. & Ostrom, Elinor, 2005. "Local Enforcement and Better Forests," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 273-284, February.
- Bodin, Örjan & Crona, Beatrice I., 2008. "Management of Natural Resources at the Community Level: Exploring the Role of Social Capital and Leadership in a Rural Fishing Community," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2763-2779, December.
- Primmer, Eeva, 2011. "Policy, project and operational networks: Channels and conduits for learning in forest biodiversity conservation," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 132-142.
- Engel, Stefanie & Palmer, Charles, 2006. "Who owns the right? The determinants of community benefits from logging in Indonesia," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 434-446, June.
- Brooks, Jeremy S., 2010. "The Buddha mushroom: Conservation behavior and the development of institutions in Bhutan," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 779-795, February. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:forpol:v:65:y:2016:i:c:p:25-36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.