Land privatization and afforestation incentive of rural farms in the Northern Uplands of Vietnam
Poverty and deforestation are critical issues in a number of developing countries where the policy framework is in many cases insufficient to provide rural people an incentive to afforest. This paper analyzes both the impact of land privatization on afforestation efforts of rural farm households in the Northern Uplands of Vietnam and the economic incentive of farm households on afforestation efforts. The determinants of afforestation by farm households were analyzed. Empirical findings were used to derive relevant policy implications for promoting forest rehabilitation in a country where the majority of forestland had been in State control prior to land privatization in 1994.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D Murger, Sylvie & Yang, Weiyong, 2006. "Economic changes and afforestation incentives in rural China," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 629-649, October.
- Shively, Gerald E., 1998. "Economic policies and the environment: the case of tree planting on low-income farms in the Philippines," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(01), pages 83-104, February.
- Otsuka, Keijiro & Suyanto, S. & Tomich, Thomas P., 1997. "Does land tenure insecurity discourage tree planting?: evolution of customary land tenure and agroforestry management in Sumatra," EPTD discussion papers 31, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Edward B. Barbier & Joanne C. Burgess, 1997. "The Economics of Tropical Forest Land Use Options," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 73(2), pages 174-195.
- Sylvie Démurger & Weiyong Yang, 2006. "Economic changes and afforestation incentives in rural China," Post-Print halshs-00120383, HAL.
- Xu, Jintao & Tao, Ran & Amacher, Gregory S., 2004. "An empirical analysis of China's state-owned forests," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3-4), pages 379-390, June.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971.
"Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972. "Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Canesio D. Predo, 2003. "What Motivates Farmers? Tree Growing and Land Use Decisions in the Grasslands of Claveria, Philippines," EEPSEA Research Report rr2003112, Economy and Environment Program for Southeast Asia (EEPSEA), revised Nov 2003.
- Libecap, Gary D., 1986. "Property rights in economic history: Implications for research," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 227-252, July.
- Pearce, David, 1998. "Cost-Benefit Analysis and Environmental Policy," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(4), pages 84-100, Winter.
- Deininger, Klaus W & Minten, Bart, 1999. "Poverty, Policies, and Deforestation: The Case of Mexico," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 313-44, January.
- Furubotn, Eirik G & Pejovich, Svetozar, 1972. "Property Rights and Economic Theory: A Survey of Recent Literature," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 10(4), pages 1137-62, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:forpol:v:12:y:2010:i:7:p:518-526. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.