Pellet promotion in the Finnish sawmilling industry: The cost-effectiveness of different policy instruments
The demand for wood fuels is increasing as several countries have targets for different types of wood-based energy, e.g. pellets. Sawmills are a source for wood fuels since they can refine their by-products into energy products. We present a model of a profit-maximizing sawmill, and analyze the production and investment decisions of thirty large-scale Finnish sawmills. The model allows the investigation of required policy incentives that enable sawmills to realize the production targets set for pellets. We analyze the policy costs of the investment, production and input subsidies. We found that the production subsidy is an efficient policy instrument.
Volume (Year): 17 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/701775/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/701775/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klugman, S. & Karlsson, M. & Moshfegh, B., 2009. "A Swedish integrated pulp and paper mill--Energy optimisation and local heat cooperation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(7), pages 2514-2524, July.
- Kangas, Hanna-Liisa & Lintunen, Jussi & Uusivuori, Jussi, 2009. "The cofiring problem of a power plant under policy regulations," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 1898-1904, May.
- Fouquet, Doerte & Johansson, Thomas B., 2008. "European renewable energy policy at crossroads--Focus on electricity support mechanisms," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4079-4092, November.
- Svensson, Inger-Lise & Jönsson, Johanna & Berntsson, Thore & Moshfegh, Bahram, 2008. "Excess heat from kraft pulp mills: Trade-offs between internal and external use in the case of Sweden--Part 1: Methodology," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(11), pages 4178-4185, November.
- Junginger, Martin & de Visser, Erika & Hjort-Gregersen, Kurt & Koornneef, Joris & Raven, Rob & Faaij, Andre & Turkenburg, Wim, 2006. "Technological learning in bioenergy systems," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 4024-4041, December.
- Lintunen, Jussi & Kangas, Hanna-Liisa, 2010. "The case of co-firing: The market level effects of subsidizing biomass co-combustion," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 694-701, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:foreco:v:17:y:2011:i:2:p:185-196. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.