Balancing natural environmental concerns of internal and external stakeholders in family and non-family businesses
While researches have long suggested that firms must be attentive to their key stakeholders, the question of how attention to different stakeholders may have different benefits for different firms has not been well addressed. This is especially true in the case of family businesses, which confront a unique set of stakeholder challenges, and socioemotional goals not confronted by non-family firms. In this study, we investigate the effect of these competing demands across family and non-family firms. We argue that while being attentive to both internal and external stakeholders is important to firm performance in family and non-family firms, family firms can benefit more when they match their concern for natural environmental stakeholders with a demonstration of concern for their employees. By effectively leveraging the power of these critical internal stakeholders, family firms can gain competitive advantages over non-family firms as it is through these internal stakeholders which the demands of external stakeholder are often met.
Volume (Year): 3 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/719791/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/719791/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aldrich, Howard E. & Cliff, Jennifer E., 2003. "The pervasive effects of family on entrepreneurship: toward a family embeddedness perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 573-596, September.
- John Bingham & W. Gibb Dyer & Isaac Smith & Gregory Adams, 2011. "A Stakeholder Identity Orientation Approach to Corporate Social Performance in Family Firms," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 99(4), pages 565-585, April.
- Eleni Stavrou & George Kassinis & Alexis Filotheou, 2007. "Downsizing and Stakeholder Orientation Among the Fortune 500: Does Family Ownership Matter?," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 72(2), pages 149-162, May.
- Alfred A. Marcus & Marc H. Anderson, 2006. "A General Dynamic Capability: Does it Propagate Business "and" Social Competencies in the Retail Food Industry?," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 19-46, 01.
- Robert E. Quinn & John Rohrbaugh, 1983. "A Spatial Model of Effectiveness Criteria: Towards a Competing Values Approach to Organizational Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(3), pages 363-377, March.
- Henriques, Irene & Sadorsky, Perry, 1996. "The Determinants of an Environmentally Responsive Firm: An Empirical Approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 381-395, May.
- Sieger, Philipp & Bernhard, Fabian & Frey, Urs, 2011. "Affective commitment and job satisfaction among non-family employees: Investigating the roles of justice perceptions and psychological ownership," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 78-89, June.
- González-Benito, Javier & González-Benito, Óscar, 2005. "Environmental proactivity and business performance: an empirical analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Banerjee, Subhabrata Bobby, 2002. "Corporate environmentalism: the construct and its measurement," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 177-191, March.
- Dibrell, Clay & Moeller, Miriam, 2011. "The impact of a service-dominant focus strategy and stewardship culture on organizational innovativeness in family-owned businesses," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 43-51, March.
- Yu-Shan Chen, 2008. "The Positive Effect of Green Intellectual Capital on Competitive Advantages of Firms," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 77(3), pages 271-286, February.
- Cabrera-Suárez, M. Katiuska & de la Cruz Déniz-Déniz, Mª & Martín-Santana, Josefa D., 2011. "Familiness and market orientation: A stakeholder approach," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 34-42, March.
- Robert D. Klassen & Curtis P. McLaughlin, 1996. "The Impact of Environmental Management on Firm Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(8), pages 1199-1214, August.
- Astrachan, Joseph H., 2010. "Strategy in family business: Toward a multidimensional research agenda," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 6-14, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:fambus:v:3:y:2012:i:1:p:28-37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.