Strategic entrepreneurship within family-controlled firms: Opportunities and challenges
A firm engages in strategic entrepreneurship when it simultaneously pursues exploration for future business domains and exploitation of current domains. Superior performance often results from successful strategic entrepreneurship. A growing body of literature addresses the opportunities and challenges created when a firm attempts to stand out in both exploration and exploitation. To date, however, this literature has focused on strategic entrepreneurship without distinguishing the role of family involvement. We seek to address this gap by theorizing that family involvement, shaped by four key dimensions of identity, justice, nepotism, and conflict, creates differences in the nature of strategic entrepreneurship between family-controlled and non-family firms. Based on these four dimensions, we develop a set of propositions describing potential positive and negative implications for strategic entrepreneurship in family-controlled firms.
Volume (Year): 1 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/719791/description#description |
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/719791/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Toru Yoshikawa & Abdul A. Rasheed, 2010. "Family Control and Ownership Monitoring in Family-Controlled Firms in Japan," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(2), pages 274-295, 03.
- Habbershon, Timothy G. & Williams, Mary & MacMillan, Ian C., 2003. "A unified systems perspective of family firm performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 451-465, July.
- Andrei Shleifer & Fausto Panunzi & Mike Burkart, 2002.
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
24926, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mike Burkart & Fausto Panunzi & Andrei Shleifer, 2002. "Family Firms," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1944, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Burkart, Mike & Panunzi, Fausto & Shleifer, Andrei, 2002. "Family Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 3234, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrei Shleifer & Fausto Panunzi & Mike Burkart, 2002. "Family Firms," FMG Discussion Papers dp406, Financial Markets Group.
- Mike Burkart & Fausto Panunzi & Andrei Shleifer, 2002. "Family Firms," NBER Working Papers 8776, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Astrachan, Joseph H., 2010. "Strategy in family business: Toward a multidimensional research agenda," Journal of Family Business Strategy, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 6-14, March.
- Eddleston, Kimberly A. & Kellermanns, Franz W., 2007. "Destructive and productive family relationships: A stewardship theory perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 545-565, July.
- Ronald C. Anderson & David M. Reeb, 2003. "Founding-Family Ownership and Firm Performance: Evidence from the S&P 500," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(3), pages 1301-1327, 06.
- Williams, J.R., 1992. "How Sustainable is your Competitive Advantage?," GSIA Working Papers 1992-03, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Villalonga, Belen & Amit, Raphael, 2006. "How do family ownership, control and management affect firm value?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 385-417, May.
- Michael H. Lubatkin & Yan Ling & William S. Schulze, 2007. "An Organizational Justice-Based View of Self-Control and Agency Costs in Family Firms," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(6), pages 955-971, 09.
- Ann C. Mooney & Patricia J. Holahan & Allen C. Amason, 2007. "Don't Take It Personally: Exploring Cognitive Conflict as a Mediator of Affective Conflict," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(5), pages 733-758, 07.
- Duane Ireland, R. & Webb, Justin W., 2007. "Strategic entrepreneurship: Creating competitive advantage through streams of innovation," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 49-59.
- Shu-hui Lin & Shing-yang Hu, 2007. "A Family Member or Professional Management? The Choice of a CEO and Its Impact on Performance," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(6), pages 1348-1362, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:fambus:v:1:y:2010:i:2:p:67-77. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.