Techno-economic analysis of a coal-fired CHP based combined heating system with gas-fired boilers for peak load compensation
Combined heat and power (CHP) plants dominate the heating market in China. With the ongoing energy structure reformation and increasing environmental concerns, we propose gas-fired boilers to be deployed in underperforming heating substations of heating networks for peak load compensation, in order to improve both energy efficiency and environmental sustainability. However, due to the relatively high price of gas, techno-economic analysis is required for evaluating different combined heating scenarios, characterized by basic heat load ratio (β). Therefore, we employ the dynamic economics and annual cost method to develop a techno-economic model for computing the net heating cost of the system, considering the current state of the art of cogeneration systems in China. The net heating cost is defined as the investment costs and operations costs of the system subtracted by revenues from power generation. We demonstrate the model in a real-life combined heating system of Daqing, China. The results show that the minimum net heating cost can be realized at β=0.75 with a cost reduction of 16.8% compared to coal heating alone. Since fuel cost is the dominating factor, sensitivity analyses on coal and gas prices are discussed subsequently.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rong, Aiying & Lahdelma, Risto, 2007. "Efficient algorithms for combined heat and power production planning under the deregulated electricity market," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(2), pages 1219-1245, January.
- Lahdelma, Risto & Makkonen, Simo & Salminen, Pekka, 2009. "Two ways to handle dependent uncertainties in multi-criteria decision problems," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 79-92, February.
- Zhang, Ming & Mu, Hailin & Ning, Yadong, 2009. "Accounting for energy-related CO2 emission in China, 1991-2006," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 767-773, March.
- Lipošćak, Marko & Afgan, Naim H. & Duić, Neven & da Graça Carvalho, Maria, 2006. "Sustainability assessment of cogeneration sector development in Croatia," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(13), pages 2276-2284.
- Park, Hi-Chun & Kim, Hoseok, 2008. "Heat supply systems using natural gas in the residential sector: The case of the agglomeration of Seoul," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3843-3853, October.
- Wang, Jiang-Jiang & Jing, You-Yin & Zhang, Chun-Fa & Shi, Guo-Hua & Zhang, Xu-Tao, 2008. "A fuzzy multi-criteria decision-making model for trigeneration system," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 3823-3832, October.
- Wei, Bing & Wang, Song-Ling & Li, Li, 2010. "Fuzzy comprehensive evaluation of district heating systems," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(10), pages 5947-5955, October.
- Saidur, R. & Ahamed, J.U. & Masjuki, H.H., 2010. "Energy, exergy and economic analysis of industrial boilers," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 2188-2197, May.
- Lahdelma, Risto & Hakonen, Henri, 2003. "An efficient linear programming algorithm for combined heat and power production," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 148(1), pages 141-151, July.
- Badescu, Viorel, 2007. "Economic aspects of using ground thermal energy for passive house heating," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 895-903.
- Rezessy, Silvia & Dimitrov, Konstantin & Urge-Vorsatz, Diana & Baruch, Seth, 2006. "Municipalities and energy efficiency in countries in transition: Review of factors that determine municipal involvement in the markets for energy services and energy efficient equipment, or how to aug," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 223-237, January.
- Bowitz, Einar & Dang Trong, Maj, 2001. "The social cost of district heating in a sparsely populated country," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(13), pages 1163-1173, November.
- Dzenajaviciene, E.F. & Kveselis, V. & McNaught, C. & Tamonis, M., 2007. "Economic analysis of the renovation of small-scale district heating systems--4 Lithuanian case studies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2569-2578, April.
- Xu, Gang & Yang, Yong-ping & Lu, Shi-yuan & Li, Le & Song, Xiaona, 2011. "Comprehensive evaluation of coal-fired power plants based on grey relational analysis and analytic hierarchy process," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 2343-2351, May.
- Ouyang, Jinlong & Ge, Jian & Hokao, Kazunori, 2009. "Economic analysis of energy-saving renovation measures for urban existing residential buildings in China based on thermal simulation and site investigation," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 140-149, January.
- Iacobescu, Flavius & Badescu, Viorel, 2011. "Metamorphoses of cogeneration-based district heating in Romania: A case study," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 269-280, January.
- Rong, Aiying & Lahdelma, Risto, 2005. "An efficient linear programming model and optimization algorithm for trigeneration," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 40-63, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:39:y:2011:i:12:p:7950-7962. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.