Metamorphoses of cogeneration-based district heating in Romania: A case study
The paper presents the birth and evolution of the cogeneration-based district heating (DH) system in a medium size city in Romania (Targoviste). The evolution of the industrialization degree was the main factor which controlled the population growth and led to a continuous reconfiguration of the DH system. The DH system assisted by cogeneration emerged as a solution in a certain phase of the demographic development of the city. The political and social changes occurring in Romania after 1990 have had important negative consequences on the DH systems in small towns. In Targoviste the DH system survived but in 2001 the solution based on cogeneration became economically inefficient, due to the low technical quality of the existing equipment and the low gas prices, to the procedure of setting the DH tariffs and the service cost at consumer's level and to some bureaucratic problems. Energy policy measures taken at national and local levels in 2003 and 2005 led to the re-establishment of the cogeneration-based district heating in 2005. However, a different technical solution has been adopted. Details about the present (2009) cogeneration-based DH system in Targoviste are presented together with several technical and economical indicators. The main conclusion is that by a proper amendment of the technical solutions, cogeneration could be a viable solution for DH even in case of abrupt social and demographic changes, such as those occurring in Romania after 1990.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chicco, Gianfranco & Mancarella, Pierluigi, 2009. "Distributed multi-generation: A comprehensive view," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 535-551, April.
- Wolfe, Philip, 2008. "The implications of an increasingly decentralised energy system," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 4509-4513, December.
- Unterwurzacher, Erich, 1992. "CHP development : Impacts of energy markets and government policies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 893-900, September.
- Onovwiona, H.I. & Ugursal, V.I., 2006. "Residential cogeneration systems: review of the current technology," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(5), pages 389-431, October.
- Dzenajaviciene, E.F. & Kveselis, V. & McNaught, C. & Tamonis, M., 2007. "Economic analysis of the renovation of small-scale district heating systems--4 Lithuanian case studies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 2569-2578, April.
- Lipošćak, Marko & Afgan, Naim H. & Duić, Neven & da Graça Carvalho, Maria, 2006. "Sustainability assessment of cogeneration sector development in Croatia," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(13), pages 2276-2284.
- Babus'Haq, R.F. & Probert, S.D. & Shilston, M.J., 1986. "The total energy approach: Evolution of combined heat and power for district heating and/or cooling," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 97-166.
- Kennedy, D., 2005. "South-East Europe Regional Energy Market: challenges and opportunities for Romania," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(17), pages 2202-2215, November.
- Cruceru, Mihai & Marius Voronca, Mihai & Diaconu, Bogdan, 2005. "Implementation of the EU legislation on Romanian power industry. Romanian legislation: achievements and shortcomings," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1365-1376.
- Alanne, Kari & Saari, Arto, 2006. "Distributed energy generation and sustainable development," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(6), pages 539-558, December.
- Rezessy, Silvia & Dimitrov, Konstantin & Urge-Vorsatz, Diana & Baruch, Seth, 2006. "Municipalities and energy efficiency in countries in transition: Review of factors that determine municipal involvement in the markets for energy services and energy efficient equipment, or how to aug," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 223-237, January.
- Poputoaia, Diana & Bouzarovski, Stefan, 2010. "Regulating district heating in Romania: Legislative challenges and energy efficiency barriers," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3820-3829, July.
- Grohnheit, Poul Erik & Gram Mortensen, Bent Ole, 2003. "Competition in the market for space heating. District heating as the infrastructure for competition among fuels and technologies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 817-826, July.
- Alanne, Kari & Saari, Arto, 2004. "Sustainable small-scale CHP technologies for buildings: the basis for multi-perspective decision-making," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 401-431, October.
- Martinot, Eric & Schipper, Lee & Khrushch, Marta, 1995. "Energy demand and efficiency in Estonia : Structure, potential and policies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 217-233, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:39:y:2011:i:1:p:269-280. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.