Changes in energy intensiveness of Hong Kong economy, 1995-2007
The growth of Primary Energy Requirements (PER) slackened appreciably since the late 1990s in Hong Kong while Final Energy Requirements (FER) actually declined. Yet GDP continued to grow at a respectable average annual growth rate during the period, leading to a drastic drop in the energy intensiveness of the economy. The article analyzed the factors that contributed to the emergence of the above phenomena and discussed its consequences. The factors that led to the drop in energy intensiveness with respect to FER includes the rising electrification of the fuel mix, improvements in energy end-use efficiency (partly induced by government policy), and changes in the structure of the Hong Kong economy. With respect to the decline in PER energy intensiveness, the following aspects are pertinent: the share of electricity consumption accounted for by nuclear imports, the efficiency of electricity generation in Hong Kong (partly determined by the type of fuels used) and losses due to transmission and distribution as well as station consumption (system losses). The decline in energy intensiveness is good to Hong Kong, both in terms of the economy and the environment. Its ramifications will be briefly discussed.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fung, W.Y. & Lam, K.S. & Hung, W.T. & Pang, S.W. & Lee, Y.L., 2006. "Impact of urban temperature on energy consumption of Hong Kong," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(14), pages 2623-2637.
- Chow, Larry Chuen-ho, 2001. "Changes in fuel input of electricity sector in Hong Kong since 1982 and their implications," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(15), pages 1399-1410, December.
- Wan, K. S. Y. & Yik, F. W. H., 2004. "Building design and energy end-use characteristics of high-rise residential buildings in Hong Kong," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 78(1), pages 19-36, May.
- Chow, Larry Chuen-ho, 2001. "A study of sectoral energy consumption in Hong Kong (1984-97) with special emphasis on the household sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(13), pages 1099-1110, November.
- Hu, Jin-Li & Kao, Chih-Hung, 2007. "Efficient energy-saving targets for APEC economies," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 373-382, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:enepol:v:38:y:2010:i:5:p:2076-2085. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.