Stochastic semi-nonparametric frontier estimation of electricity distribution networks: Application of the StoNED method in the Finnish regulatory model
Electricity distribution network is a prime example of a natural local monopoly. In many countries, electricity distribution is regulated by the government. Many regulators apply frontier estimation techniques such as data envelopment analysis (DEA) or stochastic frontier analysis (SFA) as an integral part of their regulatory framework. While more advanced methods that combine nonparametric frontier with stochastic error term are known in the literature, in practice, regulators continue to apply simplistic methods. This paper reports the main results of the project commissioned by the Finnish regulator for further development of the cost frontier estimation in their regulatory framework. The key objectives of the project were to integrate a stochastic SFA-style noise term to the nonparametric, axiomatic DEA-style cost frontier, and to take the heterogeneity of firms and their operating environments better into account. To achieve these objectives, a new method called stochastic nonparametric envelopment of data (StoNED) was examined. Based on the insights and experiences gained in the empirical analysis using the real data of the regulated networks, the Finnish regulator adopted the StoNED method in use from 2012 onwards.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- PER AGRELL & Peter Bogetoft & Jørgen Tind, 2005. "DEA and Dynamic Yardstick Competition in Scandinavian Electricity Distribution," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 173-201, 05.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Saastamoinen, Antti & Sipiläinen, Timo, 2013. "What is the best practice for benchmark regulation of electricity distribution? Comparison of DEA, SFA and StoNED methods," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(C), pages 740-750.
- Jamasb, Tooraj & Pollitt, Michael, 2003. "International benchmarking and regulation: an application to European electricity distribution utilities," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(15), pages 1609-1622, December.
- Førsund, Finn R & Edvardsen, Dag F., 2001.
"International Benchmarking of Electricity Distribution Utilities,"
35/2001, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Edvardsen, Dag Fjeld & Forsund, Finn R., 2003. "International benchmarking of electricity distribution utilities," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 353-371, October.
- Dag Fjeld Edvardsen & Finn R. Førsund, 2001. "International benchmarking of electricity distribution utilities," ICER Working Papers 08-2002, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Mekaroonreung, Maethee & Johnson, Andrew L., 2012. "Estimating the shadow prices of SO2 and NOx for U.S. coal power plants: A convex nonparametric least squares approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 723-732.
- Kopsakangas-Savolainen, Maria & Svento, Rauli, 2008. "Estimation of cost-effectiveness of the Finnish electricity distribution utilities," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 212-229, March.
- Timo Kuosmanen & Mika Kortelainen, 2012. "Stochastic non-smooth envelopment of data: semi-parametric frontier estimation subject to shape constraints," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 11-28, August.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Filippini, Massimo & Hrovatin, Nevenka & Zoric, Jelena, 2004.
"Efficiency and regulation of the Slovenian electricity distribution companies,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 335-344, February.
- Massimo Filippini & Nevenka Hrovatin & Jelena Zoric, 2002. "Efficiency and Regulation of the Slovenian Electricity Distribution Companies," CEPE Working paper series 02-14, CEPE Center for Energy Policy and Economics, ETH Zurich.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Estache, Antonio & Rossi, Martin A. & Ruzzier, Christian A., 2002.
"The case for international coordination of electricity regulation : evidence from the measurement of efficiency in South America,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2907, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & MartÌn A. Rossi & Christian A. Ruzzier, 2004. "The Case for International Coordination of Electricity Regulation: Evidence from the Measurement of Efficiency in South America," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 271-295, 05.
- Antonio Estache & Martin Rossi & Christian Ruzzier, 2004. "The Case for International Coordination of Electricity Regulation: Evidence from the Measurement of Efficiency in South America," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43975, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Andrew Johnson & Timo Kuosmanen, 2011. "One-stage estimation of the effects of operational conditions and practices on productive performance: asymptotically normal and efficient, root-n consistent StoNEZD method," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 219-230, October.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Rajiv D. Banker, 1993. "Maximum Likelihood, Consistency and Data Envelopment Analysis: A Statistical Foundation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1265-1273, October.
- Johnson, Andrew L. & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2012. "One-stage and two-stage DEA estimation of the effects of contextual variables," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(2), pages 559-570.
- Hjalmarsson, Lennart & Veiderpass, Ann, 1992. " Productivity in Swedish Electricity Retail Distribution," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 94(0), pages S193-205, Supplemen.
- Timo Kuosmanen, 2008. "Representation theorem for convex nonparametric least squares," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(2), pages 308-325, 07.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Kittelsen, Sverre A. C., 1998. "Productivity development of Norwegian electricity distribution utilities," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 207-224, September.
- Timo Kuosmanen & Mogens Fosgerau, 2009.
"Neoclassical versus Frontier Production Models? Testing for the Skewness of Regression Residuals,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 111(2), pages 351-367, 06.
- Kuosmanen, Timo & Fosgerau, Mogens, 2009. "Neoclassical versus frontier production models? Testing for the skewness of regression residuals," MPRA Paper 24208, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Astrid Cullmann & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2008. "From transition to competition," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 16(2), pages 335-357, 04.
- Christian von Hirschhausen & Astrid Cullmann & Andreas Kappeler, 2006.
"Efficiency analysis of German electricity distribution utilities - non-parametric and parametric tests,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(21), pages 2553-2566.
- von Hirschhausen, Christian R. & Cullmann, Astrid, 2005. "Efficiency Analysis of German Electricity Distribution Utilities : Non-Parametric and Parametric Tests," Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics 06/05, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Kuosmanen, Timo, 2006. "Stochastic Nonparametric Envelopment of Data: Combining Virtues of SFA and DEA in a Unified Framework," Discussion Papers 11864, MTT Agrifood Research Finland.
- Thakur, Tripta & Deshmukh, S. G. & Kaushik, S. C. & Kulshrestha, Mukul, 2005. "Impact assessment of the Electricity Act 2003 on the Indian power sector," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1187-1198, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:34:y:2012:i:6:p:2189-2199. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.