A more efficient algorithm for Convex Nonparametric Least Squares
Convex Nonparametric Least Squares (CNLSs) is a nonparametric regression method that does not require a priori specification of the functional form. The CNLS problem is solved by mathematical programming techniques; however, since the CNLS problem size grows quadratically as a function of the number of observations, standard quadratic programming (QP) and Nonlinear Programming (NLP) algorithms are inadequate for handling large samples, and the computational burdens become significant even for relatively small samples. This study proposes a generic algorithm that improves the computational performance in small samples and is able to solve problems that are currently unattainable. A Monte Carlo simulation is performed to evaluate the performance of six variants of the proposed algorithm. These experimental results indicate that the most effective variant can be identified given the sample size and the dimensionality. The computational benefits of the new algorithm are demonstrated by an empirical application that proved insurmountable for the standard QP and NLP algorithms.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Just, Richard E. & Pope, Rulon D., 1978. "Stochastic specification of production functions and economic implications," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 67-86, February.
- Johnson, Andrew L. & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2012. "One-stage and two-stage DEA estimation of the effects of contextual variables," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 220(2), pages 559-570.
- Kuosmanen, Timo, 2012. "Stochastic semi-nonparametric frontier estimation of electricity distribution networks: Application of the StoNED method in the Finnish regulatory model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 2189-2199.
- E. Mammen, 1999. "Smoothing Splines and Shape Restrictions," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 26(2), pages 239-252.
- Arne Henningsen & Christian Henning, 2009. "Imposing regional monotonicity on translog stochastic production frontiers with a simple three-step procedure," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 217-229, December.
- Varian, Hal R, 1984. "The Nonparametric Approach to Production Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 579-97, May.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Enno MAMMEN & C. THOMAS-AGNAN, 1996. "Smoothing Splines And Shape Restrictions," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 1996,87, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Andrew Johnson & Timo Kuosmanen, 2011. "One-stage estimation of the effects of operational conditions and practices on productive performance: asymptotically normal and efficient, root-n consistent StoNEZD method," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 219-230, October.
- Varian, Hal R, 1982. "The Nonparametric Approach to Demand Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 945-73, July.
- Timo Kuosmanen & Mika Kortelainen, 2012. "Stochastic non-smooth envelopment of data: semi-parametric frontier estimation subject to shape constraints," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 11-28, August.
- Goldman, Steven M., 1993.
"Nonparametric Multivariate Regression Subject to Constraint,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt7r623607, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- S. M. Goldman & P. A. Ruud, 1993. "Nonparametric Multivariate Regression Subject to Constraint," Econometrics 9311001, EconWPA.
- Timo Kuosmanen, 2008. "Representation theorem for convex nonparametric least squares," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 11(2), pages 308-325, 07.
- Paul Ruud, .
"Restricted Least Squares Subject to Monotonicity and Concavity Constraints,"
_007, University of California at Berkeley, Econometrics Laboratory Software Archive.
- Ruud, Paul A., 1995. "Restricted Least Squares Subject to Monotonicity and Concavity Constraints," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt71z2n16p, University of California Transportation Center.
- Afriat, Sidney N, 1972. "Efficiency Estimation of Production Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 13(3), pages 568-98, October.
- Mekaroonreung, Maethee & Johnson, Andrew L., 2012. "Estimating the shadow prices of SO2 and NOx for U.S. coal power plants: A convex nonparametric least squares approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 723-732.
- A. Fostel & H. Scarf & M. Todd, 2004.
"Two new proofs of Afriat’s theorem,"
Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 211-219, 07.
- M.J. Todd & A. Fostel & H.E. Scarf, 2004. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 632, Econometric Society.
- Herbert E. Scarf & Ana Fostel & Michael J. Todd, 2004. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm377, Yale School of Management.
- Anna Fostel & Herbert E. Scarf & Michael J. Todd, 2003. "Two New Proofs of Afriat's Theorem," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1415, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Adonis Yatchew, 1998. "Nonparametric Regression Techniques in Economics," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(2), pages 669-721, June.
- Boyd, Gale & Fare, Rolf, 1984. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units: A comment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 331-332, March.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W., 1984. "The non-archimedean CCR ratio for efficiency analysis: A rejoinder to Boyd and Fare," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 333-334, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:227:y:2013:i:2:p:391-400. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.