Testing for cross-subsidisation in the combined heat and power generation sector: A comparison of three tests
In this paper we examine cross-subsidisation among combined heat and power producers in Denmark. Information on stand-alone costs for heat generation allows us to empirically compare the Faulhaber tests, tests with an upper bound on stand-alone costs (the Palmer tests) and the fully distributed cost test (FDC). All tests indicate a substantial amount of cross-subsidisation from heat generation to power generation. It is shown that the FDC test is closer to that of the Faulhaber tests in its results than the Palmer tests. Thus as the Faulhaber tests are considered in the literature to be the theoretically correct tests, the FDC test is shown to be the best approximation for tests of cross-subsidisation for this specific sector.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eirik S. Amundsen & Lars Bergman, 2002. "Will Cross-Ownership Re-Establish Market Power in the Nordic Power Market?," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 73-95.
- M. von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik & Amundsen, Eirik S. & Bergman, Lars, 2004.
"The Nordic Market: Signs Of Stress?,"
Working Papers in Economics
15/04, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Palmer, Karen, 1991. "Using an upper bound on stand-alone cost in tests of cross subsidy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 457-460, April.
- Kenneth C. Baseman, 1981. "Open Entry and Cross-Subsidization in Regulated Markets," NBER Chapters, in: Studies in Public Regulation, pages 329-370 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Faulhaber, Gerald R, 1975. "Cross-Subsidization: Pricing in Public Enterprises," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(5), pages 966-77, December.
- Sherman, Roger, 1983. "Pricing behavior of the budget-constrained public enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 381-393, December.
- Daniel F. Spulber, 1989. "Regulation and Markets," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262192756, June.
- Brennan, Timothy J, 1990. "Cross-Subsidization and Cost Misallocation by Regulated Monopolists," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 37-51, March.
- Jorg Borrmann & Klaus Zauner, 2004. "Cross-subsidization when Firms Are Allowed to make Non-zero Profits," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 241-247.
- Amundsen, Eirik S. & Bergman, Lars, 2006. "Why has the Nordic electricity market worked so well?," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 148-157, September.
- Bogetoft, Peter & Nielsen, Kurt, 2008. "DEA based auctions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(2), pages 685-700, January.
- Lindsay, Cotton M, 1976. "A Theory of Government Enterprise," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(5), pages 1061-77, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:eneeco:v:33:y:2011:i:5:p:750-757. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.