Energy in a Bathtub: Electricity Trade between Countries with Different Generation Technologies
Many countries have followed a policy of being self-sufficient in electricity. However, in the last two decades exchange of electricity across borders has become more widespread, and the European Union's policy is to encourage a gradual expansion of crossborder trading and integration of electricity markets. It is therefore of interest to study what happens with the price formation in home markets when borders are opened up for trade in electricity and generating technologies differ. There is a common international market, Nord Pool, between the Nordic countries since 1996, and trade now takes place between many European countries on a bilateral basis. A stylised general equilibrium model of trade of electricity between two countries; Hydro and Thermal, with hydro and thermal technologies, is used to investigate price and quantity consequences going from autarky to trade in a competitive market, as revealed by using a social planning perspective for cooperation between countries.
|Date of creation:||06 Aug 2009|
|Publication status:||Published in Modern cost-benefit analysis of hydropower conflicts, Johansson, per-olov, Kristrøm, bengt (eds.), 2011, chapter 6, pages 76-96, Edward Elgar.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, University of Oslo, P.O Box 1095 Blindern, N-0317 Oslo, Norway|
Phone: 22 85 51 27
Fax: 22 85 50 35
Web page: http://www.oekonomi.uio.no/indexe.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nils-Henrik M. von der Fehr, Eirik S. Amundsen and Lars Bergman, 2005.
"The Nordic Market: Signs of Stress?,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 71-98.
- M. von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik & Amundsen, Eirik S. & Bergman, Lars, 2004. "The Nordic Market: Signs Of Stress?," Working Papers in Economics 15/04, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- von der Fehr, N-H.M. & Amundsen , E.S. & Bergman, L., 2005. "The Nordic Market: Signs of Stress?," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0525, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Amundsen, Eirik S. & Bergman, Lars, 2007. "Integration of multiple national markets for electricity: The case of Norway and Sweden," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 3383-3394, June.
- Amundsen, Eirik S. & Bergman, Lars, 2006. "Why has the Nordic electricity market worked so well?," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 148-157, September.
- von der Fehr, Nils-Henrik M & Sandsbraten, Lise, 1997. " Water on Fire: Gains from Electricity Trade," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(2), pages 281-297, June.
- Stephen P. Holland & Erin T. Mansur, 2006. "The Short-Run Effects of Time-Varying Prices in Competitive Electricity Markets," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 4), pages 127-156.
- Tooraj Jamasb and Michael Pollitt, 2005.
"Electricity Market Reform in the European Union: Review of Progress toward Liberalization & Integration,"
The Energy Journal,
International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Special I), pages 11-42.
- Tooraj Jamasb & Michael Pollitt, 2005. "Electricity Market Reform in the European Union - Review of Progress toward Liberalization & Integration," Working Papers 0503, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Center for Energy and Environmental Policy Research.
- Førsund, Finn R. & Singh, Balbir & Jensen, Trond & Larsen, Cato, 2008. "Phasing in wind-power in Norway: Network congestion and crowding-out of hydropower," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 3514-3520, September.
- Severin Borenstein & James B. Bushnell & Frank A. Wolak, 2002. "Measuring Market Inefficiencies in California's Restructured Wholesale Electricity Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1376-1405, December.
- Orvika Rosnes, 2008. "The Impact of Climate Policies on the Operation of a Thermal Power Plant," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 1-22.
- Crampes, C. & Moreaux, M., 2001. "Water resource and power generation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 975-997, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:osloec:2009_017. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Magnus Gabriel Aase)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.