The Effect of Market Power on Electricity Storage Utilization: The Case of Pumped Hydro Storage in Germany
In this paper, we develop the game-theoretic electricity market model ElStorM that includes the possibility of strategic electricity storage. We apply the model to the German electricity market and analyze different realistic and counterfactual cases of strategic and non-strategic pumped hydro storage utilization by different players. We find that the utilization of storage capacities depends on the operator and its ability to exert market power both regarding storage and conventional generation capacities. The distribution of storage capacities among players also matters. A general finding is that strategic operators tend to under-utilize their storage capacities. This affects generation patterns of conventional technologies and market outcomes. Strategic under-utilization of storage capacities might also diminish their potential for renewable energy integration. Accordingly, economic regulation of existing and future storage capacities may be necessary, depending on policy objectives. We also find that the introduction of electricity storage generally increases overall welfare, while outcomes vary between different cases. Strategic storage utilization decreases consumer rent compared to non-strategic storage utilization. However, this effect is less pronounced if storage capacities are distributed among several players.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Mohrenstraße 58, D-10117 Berlin|
Web page: http://www.diw.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nodir Adilov, 2010. "Bilateral Forward Contracts and Spot Prices," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 67-82.
- Garcia, Alfredo & Reitzes, James D & Stacchetti, Ennio, 2001. "Strategic Pricing when Electricity is Storable," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 20(3), pages 223-47, November.
- Lise, Wietze & Hobbs, Benjamin F. & Hers, Sebastiaan, 2008. "Market power in the European electricity market--The impacts of dry weather and additional transmission capacity," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1331-1343, April.
- Thure Traber & Claudia Kemfert, 2009.
"Gone with the Wind?: Electricity Market Prices and Incentives to Invest in Thermal Power Plants under Increasing Wind Energy Supply,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
852, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Traber, Thure & Kemfert, Claudia, 2011. "Gone with the wind? -- Electricity market prices and incentives to invest in thermal power plants under increasing wind energy supply," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 249-256, March.
- Lise, Wietze & Kruseman, Gideon, 2008. "Long-term price and environmental effects in a liberalised electricity market," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 230-248, March.
- Klemperer, Paul D & Meyer, Margaret A, 1989. "Supply Function Equilibria in Oligopoly under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1243-77, November.
- Lise, Wietze & Linderhof, Vincent & Kuik, Onno & Kemfert, Claudia & Ostling, Robert & Heinzow, Thomas, 2006. "A game theoretic model of the Northwestern European electricity market--market power and the environment," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(15), pages 2123-2136, October.
- Neuhoff, Karsten & Barquin, Julian & Boots, Maroeska G. & Ehrenmann, Andreas & Hobbs, Benjamin F. & Rijkers, Fieke A.M. & Vazquez, Miguel, 2005. "Network-constrained Cournot models of liberalized electricity markets: the devil is in the details," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 495-525, May.
- James B. Bushnell & Erin T. Mansur & Celeste Saravia, 2007.
"Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure, and Competition An Analysis of Restructured U.S. Electricity Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
13507, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James B. Bushnell & Erin T. Mansur & Celeste Saravia, 2008. "Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure, and Competition: An Analysis of Restructured US Electricity Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(1), pages 237-66, March.
- Bushnell, James & Mansur, Erin T. & Saravia, Celeste, 2008. "Vertical Arrangements, Market Structure and Competition: An Analysis of Restructured U.S. Electricity Markets," Staff General Research Papers 13130, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Ramteen Sioshansi, 2010. "Welfare Impacts of Electricity Storage and the Implications of Ownership Structure," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 173-198.
- Bo Andersson & Lars Bergman, 1995. "Market Structure and the Price of Electricity: An Ex Ante Analysis of the Deregulated Swedish Electricity Market," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 97-110.
- Crampes, Claude & Moreaux, Michel, 2010. "Pumped storage and cost saving," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 325-333, March.
- Green, Richard J & Newbery, David M, 1992.
"Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 929-53, October.
- Green, Richard & Newbery, David M G, 1991. "Competition in the British Electricity Spot Market," CEPR Discussion Papers 557, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bergman, Lars & Andersson, Bo, 1995. "Market Structure and the Price of Electricity: An ex ante Analysis of the deregulated Swedish Electricity Market," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 47, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Sioshansi, Ramteen & Denholm, Paul & Jenkin, Thomas & Weiss, Jurgen, 2009. "Estimating the value of electricity storage in PJM: Arbitrage and some welfare effects," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 269-277, March.
- Severin Borenstein & James B. Bushnell & Frank A. Wolak, 2002. "Measuring Market Inefficiencies in California's Restructured Wholesale Electricity Market," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1376-1405, December.
- Rangel, Luiz Fernando, 2008. "Competition policy and regulation in hydro-dominated electricity markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(4), pages 1292-1302, April.
- Ferris, Michael C. & Munson, Todd S., 2000. "Complementarity problems in GAMS and the PATH solver," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 165-188, February.
- Rutherford, Thomas F., 1995. "Extension of GAMS for complementarity problems arising in applied economic analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1299-1324, November.
- Leuthold, Florian & Weigt, Hannes & von Hirschhausen, Christian, 2008. "ELMOD - A Model of the European Electricity Market," MPRA Paper 65660, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ali Hortaçsu & Steven L. Puller, 2008. "Understanding strategic bidding in multi-unit auctions: a case study of the Texas electricity spot market," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(1), pages 86-114.
- Erin T. Mansur, 2008.
"Measuring Welfare in Restructured Electricity Markets,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 90(2), pages 369-386, May.
- Erin T. Mansur, 2007. "Measuring Welfare in Restructured Electricity Markets," NBER Working Papers 13509, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ventosa, Mariano & Baillo, Alvaro & Ramos, Andres & Rivier, Michel, 2005. "Electricity market modeling trends," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(7), pages 897-913, May.
- Johnsen, T. A., 2001. "Hydropower generation and storage, transmission contraints and market power1," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 63-73, June.
- Thure Traber & Claudia Kemfert, 2009. "Impacts of the German Support for Renewable Energy on Electricity Prices, Emissions, and Firms," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 3), pages 155-178.
- Steven L. Puller, 2007. "Pricing and Firm Conduct in California's Deregulated Electricity Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 75-87, February.
- Borenstein, Severin & Bushnell, James, 1999.
"An Empirical Analysis of the Potential for Market Power in California's Electricity Industry,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 47(3), pages 285-323, September.
- Severin Borenstein & James Bushnell, 1998. "An Empirical Analysis of the Potential for Market Power in California's Electricity Industry," NBER Working Papers 6463, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:diw:diwwpp:dp947. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.