The sequencing of stock market liberalization events and corporate financing decisions
We examine the impact of stock market liberalization events on corporate financing choices. We analyze differences between 'investable' firms and those who cross-list on international markets and show that an initial act of liberalization evokes similar responses across all firms. Furthermore, we examine the importance of the order in which these events occur. We find evidence of different behavior depending on the sequence of events and across categories of listing. Level 3 ADRs confer greatest equity raising post-listing, suggesting that US lists still have benefits over and above London.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reese, William Jr. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2002.
"Protection of minority shareholder interests, cross-listings in the United States, and subsequent equity offerings,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 65-104, October.
- William A. Reese, Jr. & Michael S. Weisbach, 2001. "Protection of Minority Shareholder Interests, Cross-listings in the United States, and Subsequent Equity Offerings," NBER Working Papers 8164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ross Levine & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2005.
"Internationalization and the Evolution of Corporate Valuation,"
NBER Working Papers
11023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Levine, Ross & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2008. "Internationalization and the evolution of corporate valuation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 607-632, June.
- Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Levine, Ross & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2006. "Internationalization and the evolution of corporate valuation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3933, The World Bank.
- Mitton, Todd, 2006. "Stock market liberalization and operating performance at the firm level," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 625-647, September.
- Barclay, Michael J & Smith, Clifford W, Jr, 1995. " The Maturity Structure of Corporate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 609-31, June.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Schmukler, Sergio L. & Vesperoni, Esteban, 2006. "Financial globalization and debt maturity in emerging economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 183-207, February.
- Inder K. Khurana & Xiumin Martin & Raynolde Periera, 2008. "Cross-listing and Firm Growth," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 12(2), pages 293-322.
- Bae, Kee-Hong & Bailey, Warren & Mao, Connie X., 2006. "Stock market liberalization and the information environment," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 404-428, April.
- Huang, Rongbing & Ritter, Jay R., 2009. "Testing Theories of Capital Structure and Estimating the Speed of Adjustment," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(02), pages 237-271, April.
- Enrica Detragiache & Gianni De NicolÃ³ & Senay Agca, 2007. "Financial Reforms, Financial Openness, and Corporate Borrowing; International Evidence," IMF Working Papers 07/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Andreas Charitou & Christodoulos Louca, 2009. "Cross-Listing and Operating Performance: Evidence from Exchange-Listed American Depositary Receipts," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1-2), pages 99-129.
- Jeffrey A. Wurgler & Malcolm P. Baker, 2001.
"Market Timing and Capital Structure,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm181, Yale School of Management.
- Bekaert, Geert & Harvey, Campbell R. & Lundblad, Christian, 2005.
"Does financial liberalization spur growth?,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 3-55, July.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2001. "Does Financial Liberalization Spur Growth?," NBER Working Papers 8245, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2004. "Does Financial Liberalization Spur Growth?," Working Paper Research 53, National Bank of Belgium.
- Lins, Karl V. & Strickland, Deon & Zenner, Marc, 2005. "Do Non-U.S. Firms Issue Equity on U.S. Stock Exchanges to Relax Capital Constraints?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(01), pages 109-133, March.
- Bae, Kee-Hong & Chan, Kalok & Ng, Angela, 2004. "Investibility and return volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 239-263, February.
- Anusha Chari & Peter Blair Henry, 2004.
"Is the Invisible Hand Discerning or Indiscriminate? Investment and Stock Prices in the Aftermath of Capital Account Liberalizations,"
NBER Working Papers
10318, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Henry, Peter B. & Chari, Anusha, 2004. "Is the Invisible Hand Discerning or Indiscriminate? Investment and Stock Prices in the Aftermath of Capital Account Liberalizations," Research Papers 1839, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Doidge, Craig & Andrew Karolyi, G. & Stulz, Ren M., 2009. "Has New York become less competitive than London in global markets? Evaluating foreign listing choices over time," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3), pages 253-277, March.
- Nandini Gupta & Kathy Yuan, 2009. "On the Growth Effect of Stock Market Liberalizations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(11), pages 4715-4752, November.
- Brian H. Boyer & Tomomi Kumagai & Kathy Yuan, 2006. "How Do Crises Spread? Evidence from Accessible and Inaccessible Stock Indices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 957-1003, 04.
- Henry, Peter Blair, 2000. "Do stock market liberalizations cause investment booms?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 301-334.
- Sudip Datta & Mai Iskandar-Datta & Kartik Raman, 2005. "Managerial Stock Ownership and the Maturity Structure of Corporate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2333-2350, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ememar:v:11:y:2010:i:3:p:183-204. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.