The sequencing of stock market liberalization events and corporate financing decisions
We examine if the sequence of stock market liberalization events matters for corporate financing choices. We contrast firms who attain ‘investable’ status through domestic reforms with those who do so by issuing American Depository Receipt programs. We find that the first liberalization event prompts similar corporate responses regardless of the path followed. However, we find differential effects between firms who issue ADRs after realizing financial liberalization and those who use ADR initiations to achieve this status. Here, the sequence matters and the capital structure choices of the two groups are very different.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Maynooth, Co. Kildare|
Web page: http://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/economics-finance-and-accounting
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henry, Peter Blair, 2000. "Do stock market liberalizations cause investment booms?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 301-334.
- Ross Levine & Sergio L. Schmukler, 2005.
"Internationalization and the Evolution of Corporate Valuation,"
NBER Working Papers
11023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Levine, Ross & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2008. "Internationalization and the evolution of corporate valuation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 607-632, June.
- Gozzi, Juan Carlos & Levine, Ross & Schmukler, Sergio L., 2006. "Internationalization and the evolution of corporate valuation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3933, The World Bank.
- Jeffrey A. Wurgler & Malcolm P. Baker, 2001.
"Market Timing and Capital Structure,"
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm181, Yale School of Management.
- Geert Bekaert & Campbell R. Harvey & Christian Lundblad, 2004.
"Does Financial Liberalization Spur Growth?,"
Working Paper Research
53, National Bank of Belgium.
- Reese, William Jr. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2002.
"Protection of minority shareholder interests, cross-listings in the United States, and subsequent equity offerings,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 65-104, October.
- William A. Reese, Jr. & Michael S. Weisbach, 2001. "Protection of Minority Shareholder Interests, Cross-listings in the United States, and Subsequent Equity Offerings," NBER Working Papers 8164, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Enrica Detragiache & Gianni De Nicolo & Senay Agca, 2007. "Financial Reforms, Financial Openness, and Corporate Borrowing; International Evidence," IMF Working Papers 07/186, International Monetary Fund.
- Sudip Datta & Mai Iskandar-Datta & Kartik Raman, 2005. "Managerial Stock Ownership and the Maturity Structure of Corporate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2333-2350, October.
- Schmukler, Sergio L. & Vesperoni, Esteban, 2006. "Financial globalization and debt maturity in emerging economies," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 183-207, February.
- Inder K. Khurana & Xiumin Martin & Raynolde Periera, 2008. "Cross-listing and Firm Growth," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 12(2), pages 293-322.
- Huang, Rongbing & Ritter, Jay R., 2009. "Testing Theories of Capital Structure and Estimating the Speed of Adjustment," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 44(02), pages 237-271, April.
- Brian H. Boyer & Tomomi Kumagai & Kathy Yuan, 2006. "How Do Crises Spread? Evidence from Accessible and Inaccessible Stock Indices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 957-1003, 04.
- Mitton, Todd, 2006. "Stock market liberalization and operating performance at the firm level," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 625-647, September.
- Nandini Gupta & Kathy Yuan, 2009. "On the Growth Effect of Stock Market Liberalizations," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(11), pages 4715-4752, November.
- Andreas Charitou & Christodoulos Louca, 2009. "Cross-Listing and Operating Performance: Evidence from Exchange-Listed American Depositary Receipts," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1-2), pages 99-129.
- Henry, Peter B. & Chari, Anusha, 2004.
"Is the Invisible Hand Discerning or Indiscriminate? Investment and Stock Prices in the Aftermath of Capital Account Liberalizations,"
1839, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Anusha Chari & Peter Blair Henry, 2004. "Is the Invisible Hand Discerning or Indiscriminate? Investment and Stock Prices in the Aftermath of Capital Account Liberalizations," NBER Working Papers 10318, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Doidge, Craig & Andrew Karolyi, G. & Stulz, Ren M., 2009. "Has New York become less competitive than London in global markets? Evaluating foreign listing choices over time," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(3), pages 253-277, March.
- Barclay, Michael J & Smith, Clifford W, Jr, 1995. " The Maturity Structure of Corporate Debt," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(2), pages 609-31, June.
- Lins, Karl V. & Strickland, Deon & Zenner, Marc, 2005. "Do Non-U.S. Firms Issue Equity on U.S. Stock Exchanges to Relax Capital Constraints?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 40(01), pages 109-133, March.
- Bae, Kee-Hong & Chan, Kalok & Ng, Angela, 2004. "Investibility and return volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 239-263, February.
- Bae, Kee-Hong & Bailey, Warren & Mao, Connie X., 2006. "Stock market liberalization and the information environment," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 404-428, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:may:mayecw:n2021009.pdf. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.