Incorporating the learning effect into data envelopment analysis to measure MSW recycling performance
The effect of organizational learning, which results in continuous improvement of organizational performance over time, has been widely discussed. The cumulative learning effect may form as a source of intellectual capital. Thus far, the static data envelopment analysis (DEA) model has not been used to examine the longitudinal learning effect. Therefore, a two-stage approach is developed together with the estimation of a latent learning effect using time-series data; the estimated learning effect is then used as an input in the DEA Slacks-Based Measure (SBM) model. The proposed DEA SBM model can be used to investigate the efficiency of the organizational learning effect of Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) recycling systems.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Golany, B & Roll, Y, 1989. "An application procedure for DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 237-250.
- Sengupta, Jati K., 2000. "Quality and efficiency," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 195-207, April.
- Yang, Hongliang & Pollitt, Michael, 2009.
"Incorporating both undesirable outputs and uncontrollable variables into DEA: The performance of Chinese coal-fired power plants,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 197(3), pages 1095-1105, September.
- Yang, H. & Pollitt, M., 2007. "Incorporating Both Undesirable Outputs and Uncontrollable Variables into DEA: the Performance of Chinese Coal-Fired Power Plants," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0733, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Kao, Chiang, 2009. "Efficiency measurement for parallel production systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 196(3), pages 1107-1112, August.
- Olav Sorenson, 2003. "Interdependence and Adaptability: Organizational Learning and the Long--Term Effect of Integration," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(4), pages 446-463, April.
- Atakelty Hailu & Terrence S. Veeman, 2001. "Non-parametric Productivity Analysis with Undesirable Outputs: An Application to the Canadian Pulp and Paper Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 605-616.
- Yang, Wen-Hua & Chand, Suresh, 2008. "Learning and forgetting effects on a group scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(3), pages 1033-1044, June.
- Hsu, Chin-Chun & Pereira, Arun, 2008. "Internationalization and performance: The moderating effects of organizational learning," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 188-205, April.
- Sarkis, Joseph & Cordeiro, James J., 2001. "An empirical evaluation of environmental efficiencies and firm performance: Pollution prevention versus end-of-pipe practice," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 102-113, November.
- Kuo, Wen-Hung & Yang, Dar-Li, 2006. "Minimizing the total completion time in a single-machine scheduling problem with a time-dependent learning effect," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 1184-1190, October.
- Biskup, Dirk, 2008. "A state-of-the-art review on scheduling with learning effects," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(2), pages 315-329, July.
- Sahoo, Biresh K. & Luptacik, Mikulas & Mahlberg, Bernhard, 2011. "Alternative measures of environmental technology structure in DEA: An application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 215(3), pages 750-762, December.
- Chang, Dong-Shang & Yang, Fu-Chiang, 2011. "Assessing the power generation, pollution control, and overall efficiencies of municipal solid waste incinerators in Taiwan," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 651-663, February.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2002. "Modeling undesirable factors in efficiency evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 16-20, October.
- B. K. Sahoo & K. Kerstens & K. Tone, 2012. "Returns to growth in a non parametric DEA approach," Post-Print hal-00684430, HAL.
- Dyckhoff, H. & Allen, K., 2001. "Measuring ecological efficiency with data envelopment analysis (DEA)," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 312-325, July.
- Ferdinand K. Levy, 1965. "Adaptation in the Production Process," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 11(6), pages B136-B154, April.
- Podinovski, Victor V. & Kuosmanen, Timo, 2011. "Modelling weak disposability in data envelopment analysis under relaxed convexity assumptions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(3), pages 577-585, June.
- Avkiran, Necmi K. & Rowlands, Terry, 2008. "How to better identify the true managerial performance: State of the art using DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 317-324, April.
- Scheel, Holger, 2001. "Undesirable outputs in efficiency valuations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 400-410, July.
- Lee, S & Courtney, J. F. & O'Keefe, R. M., 1992. "A system for organizational learning using cognitive maps," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 23-36, January.
- Mahlberg, Bernhard & Sahoo, Biresh K., 2011. "Radial and non-radial decompositions of Luenberger productivity indicator with an illustrative application," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 721-726, June.
- Yang, Xiaopeng & Morita, Hiroshi, 2013. "Efficiency improvement from multiple perspectives: An application to Japanese banking industry," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 501-509.
- Fioretti, Guido, 2007. "The organizational learning curve," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(3), pages 1375-1384, March.
- Anthony J. Dibella & Janet M. Gould, 1996. "Understanding Organizational Learning Capability," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(3), pages 361-379, 05.
- Knox Lovell, C. A., 1995. "Measuring the macroeconomic performance of the Taiwanese economy," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 165-178, April.
- Korhonen, Pekka J. & Luptacik, Mikulas, 2004. "Eco-efficiency analysis of power plants: An extension of data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 437-446, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:229:y:2013:i:2:p:496-504. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.