Efficiency improvement from multiple perspectives: An application to Japanese banking industry
The current study focuses on efficiency improvement for banking systems from multiple perspectives, which have different definitions of input/output about various attributes of a banking system. In this research we utilize data envelopment analysis (DEA) and Nash bargaining game (NBG) theory to improve inefficient banks in order to: (1) Make the inefficient bank be the state of Pareto Optimality for multiple perspectives, which can avoid discontentment of some perspectives. (2) Improve a bank by changing its attributes and provide various improving schemes for decision makers. A numerical case study of Japanese banks is also given to show the results of equilibrium solution from multiple perspectives.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Miller, Merton H, 1977. "Debt and Taxes," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 261-75, May.
- Avkiran, Necmi K. & Morita, Hiroshi, 2010. "Benchmarking firm performance from a multiple-stakeholder perspective with an application to Chinese banking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 501-508, December.
- Dyson, R. G. & Allen, R. & Camanho, A. S. & Podinovski, V. V. & Sarrico, C. S. & Shale, E. A., 2001. "Pitfalls and protocols in DEA," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 245-259, July.
- Juo, Jia-Ching & Fu, Tsu-Tan & Yu, Ming-Miin, 2012. "Non-oriented slack-based decompositions of profit change with an application to Taiwanese banking," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(5), pages 550-561.
- Nash, John, 1953. "Two-Person Cooperative Games," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 21(1), pages 128-140, April.
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2011. "Association of DEA super-efficiency estimates with financial ratios: Investigating the case for Chinese banks," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 323-334, June.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Premachandra, I.M. & Chen, Yao & Watson, John, 2011. "DEA as a tool for predicting corporate failure and success: A case of bankruptcy assessment," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 620-626, December.
- Scheel, Holger, 2001. "Undesirable outputs in efficiency valuations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 132(2), pages 400-410, July.
- Bergendahl, Goran & Lindblom, Ted, 2008. "Evaluating the performance of Swedish savings banks according to service efficiency," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 1663-1673, March.
- Nash, John, 1950. "The Bargaining Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 18(2), pages 155-162, April.
- Du, Juan & Liang, Liang & Chen, Yao & Cook, Wade D. & Zhu, Joe, 2011. "A bargaining game model for measuring performance of two-stage network structures," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 210(2), pages 390-397, April.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Schaffnit, Claire, 2004. "Commercial branch performance evaluation and results communication in a Canadian bank--a DEA application," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(3), pages 719-735, August.
- Fadzlan Sufian, 2010. "Evolution in the efficiency of the Indonesian banking sector: a DEA approach," International Journal of Applied Management Science, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(4), pages 388-414.
- Reza Kiani Mavi & Ahmad Makui & Safar Fazli & Alireza Alinezhad, 2010. "A forecasting method in data envelopment analysis with group decision making," International Journal of Applied Management Science, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(2), pages 152-168.
- Halkos, George & Salamouris, Dimitrios, 2001. "Efficiency Measures of the Greek Banking Sector: A Non-Parametric Approach for the Period 1997-1999," MPRA Paper 2858, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rashmi Malhotra & D.K. Malhotra & C. Andrew Lafond, 2009. "Analysing financial services industry using data envelopment analysis," International Journal of Applied Management Science, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 217-246.
- Paradi, Joseph C. & Rouatt, Stephen & Zhu, Haiyan, 2011. "Two-stage evaluation of bank branch efficiency using data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 99-109, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jomega:v:41:y:2013:i:3:p:501-509. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.