Approximate nucleolus-based revenue sharing in airline alliances
Alliances allow the airlines to extend their networks and increase the number of destinations they can access. Different from the traditional single airline approach, in an alliance, partner airlines may sell tickets for the same itinerary. In addition, one itinerary may consist of several flight legs, each of which may be operated by a different airline. A major issue that needs to be addressed is how to share the revenue generated from selling a ticket for a product among the individual airlines in a fair way. The fair allocation of the revenue has a critical importance for the long-term stability of the alliance. We model the problem as a cooperative game and show that the core of the game is non-empty. We propose to use a revenue proration scheme based on the concept of the nucleolus. The numerical studies reveal that the revenue shares can effectively be computed even for large alliance networks.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 220 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hallefjord, Asa & Helming, Reidun & Jornsten, Kurt, 1995. "Computing the Nucleolus When the Characteristic Function Is Given Implicitly: A Constraint Generation Approach," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 24(4), pages 357-372.
- Potters, J.A.M. & Tijs, S.H., 1992. "The nucleolus of a matrix game and other nucleoli," Other publications TiSEM ae3402e7-bd19-494b-b0a1-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Serguei Netessine & Robert A. Shumsky, 2005. "Revenue Management Games: Horizontal and Vertical Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(5), pages 813-831, May.
- Peter Borm & Herbert Hamers & Ruud Hendrickx, 2001.
"Operations research games: A survey,"
TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research,
Springer;Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa, vol. 9(2), pages 139-199, December.
- Borm, P.E.M. & Hamers, H.J.M. & Hendrickx, R.L.P., 2001. "Operations research games : A survey," Other publications TiSEM 755a430b-592f-400b-ba18-9, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Borm, P.E.M. & Hamers, H.J.M. & Hendrickx, R.L.P., 2001. "Operations Research Games : A Survey," Discussion Paper 2001-45, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- de Boer, Sanne V. & Freling, Richard & Piersma, Nanda, 2002. "Mathematical programming for network revenue management revisited," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 72-92, February.
- Graf, M. & Kimms, A., 2011. "An option-based revenue management procedure for strategic airline alliances," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 215(2), pages 459-469, December.
- Wen-Chyuan Chiang & Jason C.H. Chen & Xiaojing Xu, 2007. "An overview of research on revenue management: current issues and future research," International Journal of Revenue Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1), pages 97-128.
- Martin Butler & H. Paul Williams, 2002. "Fairness versus efficiency in charging for the use of common facilities," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 18399, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kalyan Talluri & Garrett van Ryzin, 1998. "An Analysis of Bid-Price Controls for Network Revenue Management," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(11-Part-1), pages 1577-1593, November.
- Jeroen Kuipers & Ulrich Faigle & Walter Kern, 2001. "On the computation of the nucleolus of a cooperative game," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer;Game Theory Society, vol. 30(1), pages 79-98.
- Drechsel, J. & Kimms, A., 2010. "Computing core allocations in cooperative games with an application to cooperative procurement," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 310-321, November. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:220:y:2012:i:2:p:510-521. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.