Revenue Management and E-Commerce
We trace the history of revenue management in an effort to illustrate a successful e--commerce model of dynamic, automated sales. Our discourse begins with a brief overview of electronic distribution as practiced in the airline industry, emphasizing the fundamental role of central reservation and revenue management systems. Methods for controlling the sale of inventory are then introduced along with related techniques for optimization and forecasting. Research contributions and areas of significant research potential are given special attention. We conclude by looking at how revenue management is practiced outside of the airline industry, its relationship to dynamic pricing, and future directions for the discipline.
Volume (Year): 49 (2003)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clemen, Robert T., 1989. "Combining forecasts: A review and annotated bibliography," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 559-583.
- Armstrong, J. Scott & Collopy, Fred, 1992. "Error measures for generalizing about forecasting methods: Empirical comparisons," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 69-80, June.
- Ladany, SP & Bedi, DN, 1977. "Dynamic booking rules for flights with an intermediate stop," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 5(6), pages 721-730.
- Belobaba, Peter P. & Wilson, John L., 1997. "Impacts of yield management in competitive airline markets," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 3-9.
- Bodily, S. E. & Weatherford, L. R., 1995. "Perishable-asset revenue management: Generic and multiple-price yield management with diversion," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 173-185, April.
- Kalyan Talluri & Garrett van Ryzin, 1998. "An Analysis of Bid-Price Controls for Network Revenue Management," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(11-Part-1), pages 1577-1593, November.
- Fildes, Robert & Hibon, Michele & Makridakis, Spyros & Meade, Nigel, 1998. "Generalising about univariate forecasting methods: further empirical evidence," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 339-358, September.
- Alstrup, Jens & Boas, Soren & Madsen, Oli B. G. & Vidal, ReneVictor Valqui, 1986. "Booking policy for flights with two types of passengers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 274-288, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:49:y:2003:i:10:p:1363-1386. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.