An option-based revenue management procedure for strategic airline alliances
An airline has to decide whether to accept an incoming customer request for a seat in the airplane or to reject it in hope that another customer will request the seat later at a higher price. Capacity control, as one of the instruments of revenue management, gives a solution to this decision problem. In the presence of strategic alliances capacity control changes. For the case of two airlines in the alliance and a single flight leg we propose an option-based capacity control process. The determination of booking limits for capacity control is done with real options. A simulation model is introduced to evaluate the booking process of the partner airlines within the strategic alliance, considering the option-based procedure. In an iterative process the booking limits are improved with simulation-based optimization. The results of the option-based procedure will be compared with the results of the simulation-based optimization, the results of a first-come-first-served (FCFS) approach and ex post optimal solutions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan K. Brueckner, 2003. "International Airfares in the Age of Alliances: The Effects of Codesharing and Antitrust Immunity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(1), pages 105-118, February.
- Brueckner, Jan K & Whalen, W Tom, 2000. "The Price Effects of International Airline Alliances," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 503-545, October.
- Geske, Robert, 1979. "The valuation of compound options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 63-81, March.
- Oum, Tae Hoon & Park, Jong-Hun, 1997. "Airline alliances: current status, policy issues, and future directions," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 133-144.
- Kimms, A. & Klein, Robert, 2005. "Revenue Management im Branchenvergleich," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 26627, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
- de Boer, Sanne V. & Freling, Richard & Piersma, Nanda, 2002. "Mathematical programming for network revenue management revisited," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 72-92, February.
- Klein, Robert, 2005. "Revenue Management : Grundlagen und Methoden der Kapazitätssteuerung," Publications of Darmstadt Technical University, Institute for Business Studies (BWL) 25150, Darmstadt Technical University, Department of Business Administration, Economics and Law, Institute for Business Studies (BWL).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:215:y:2011:i:2:p:459-469. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.