Valuing the flexibility of investing in security process innovations
In this paper, we develop a decision model of a firm's optimal strategy for investment in security process innovations (SPIs) when confronted with a sequence of malicious attacks. The model incorporates real options as a methodology to capture the flexibility embedded in such investment decisions. SPIs, when seamlessly integrated with the organization's overall business dynamics, induce organizational learning and provide the flexibility of switching to more suitable technologies as the environment of malicious attacks changes. The theoretical contribution of this paper is a mathematical model of the invest-to-learn and switching options generated upon early investment in flexible SPIs. The practical significance of the paper is the application of a binomial lattice model to approximate the continuous-time model, resulting in an easy to use decision aid for managers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 2000.
"Strategic Technology Adoptation Taking into Account Future Technological Improvements : A Real Options Approach,"
2000-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Huisman, Kuno J. M. & Kort, Peter M., 2004. "Strategic technology adoption taking into account future technological improvements: A real options approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(3), pages 705-728, December.
- Huisman, K.J.M. & Kort, P.M., 2004. "Strategic technology adoption taking into account future technological improvements : A real options approach," Other publications TiSEM cfab60d6-970e-4dc7-b11c-e, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Clark, Ephraim & Easaw, Joshy Z., 2007. "Optimal access pricing for natural monopoly networks when costs are sunk and revenues are uncertain," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 178(2), pages 595-602, April.
- Giacometti, Rosella & Teocchi, Mariangela, 2005. "On pricing of credit spread options," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 163(1), pages 52-64, May.
- Martzoukos, Spiros H. & Trigeorgis, Lenos, 2002. "Real (investment) options with multiple sources of rare events," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 136(3), pages 696-706, February.
- Van Landeghem, Rik R. G., 1989. "Option analysis: Making better decision faster," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 318-328, February.
- Pennings, Enrico & Lint, Onno, 2000. "Market entry, phased rollout or abandonment? A real option approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 125-138, July.
- Dangl, Thomas, 1999. "Investment and capacity choice under uncertain demand," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 117(3), pages 415-428, September.
- Eduardo S. Schwartz & Carlos Zozaya-Gorostiza, 2003. "Investment Under Uncertainty in Information Technology: Acquisition and Development Projects," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(1), pages 57-70, January.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-140879 is not listed on IDEAS
- Grenadier, Steven R. & Weiss, Allen M., 1997. "Investment in technological innovations: An option pricing approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 397-416, June.
- Alberto Moel, 2002. "When Are Real Options Exercised? An Empirical Study of Mine Closings," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(1), pages 35-64, March.
- Lenos Trigeorgis, 1993. "Real Options and Interactions With Financial Flexibility," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 22(3), Fall.
- De Reyck, Bert & Degraeve, Zeger & Vandenborre, Roger, 2008. "Project options valuation with net present value and decision tree analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(1), pages 341-355, January.
- Robert G. Fichman & Chris F. Kemerer, 1997. "The Assimilation of Software Process Innovations: An Organizational Learning Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(10), pages 1345-1363, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:192:y:2009:i:1:p:216-235. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.