Partial parametric estimation for nonstationary nonlinear regressions
This paper proposes an estimation method for a partial parametric model with multiple integrated time series. Our estimation procedure is based on the decomposition of the nonparametric part of the regression function into homogeneous and integrable components. It consists of two steps: In the first step we parameterize and fit the homogeneous component of the nonparametric part by the nonlinear least squares with other parametric terms in the model, and use in the second step the standard kernel method to nonparametrically estimate the integrable component of the nonparametric part from the residuals in the first step. We establish consistency and obtain the asymptotic distribution of our estimator. A simulation shows that our estimator performs well in finite samples. For the empirical illustration, we estimate the money demand functions for the US and Japan using our model and methodology.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fujiwara, Ippei & Nakajima, Tomoyuki & Sudo, Nao & Teranishi, Yuki, 2013.
"Global liquidity trap,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(8), pages 936-949.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Tomoyuki Nakajima & Nao Sudo & Yuki Teranishi, 2011. "Global Liquidity Trap," KIER Working Papers 780, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Tomoyuki Nakajima & Nao Sudo & Yuki Teranishi, 2010. "Global Liquidity Trap," IMES Discussion Paper Series 10-E-11, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Tomoyuki Nakajima & Nao Sudo & Yuki Teranishi, 2011. "Global Liquidity Trap," NBER Working Papers 16867, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fujiwara, Ippei & Sudo, Nao & Nakajima, Tomoyuki & Teranishi, Yuki, 2010. "Global liquidity trap," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 56, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Yuki Teranishi & Nao Sudo & Tomoyuki Nakajima & Ippei Fujiwara, 2013. "Global liquidity trap," AJRC Working Papers 1304, Australia-Japan Research Centre, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Bae, Youngsoo & Kakkar, Vikas & Ogaki, Masao, 2006. "Money Demand in Japan and Nonlinear Cointegration," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(6), pages 1659-1667, September.
- Qiying Wang & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2009.
"Structural Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression,"
Econometric Society, vol. 77(6), pages 1901-1948, November.
- Yoosoon Chang & Joon Y. Park & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2001.
"Nonlinear econometric models with cointegrated and deterministically trending regressors,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 1-36.
- Yoosoon Chang & Joon Y. Park & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1999. "Nonlinear Econometric Models with Cointegrated and Deterministically Trending Regressors," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1245, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Youngsoo Bae & Robert M. de Jong, 2007. "Money demand function estimation by nonlinear cointegration," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(4), pages 767-793.
- Laurence Ball, 1998.
"Another Look at Long-Run Money Demand,"
NBER Working Papers
6597, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Park, Joon Y & Phillips, Peter C B, 2001.
"Nonlinear Regressions with Integrated Time Series,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(1), pages 117-61, January.
- Joon Y. Park & Peter C. B. Phillips, 1999. "Nonlinear Regressions with Integrated Time Series," Working Paper Series no6, Institute of Economic Research, Seoul National University.
- Joon Y. Park & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1998. "Nonlinear Regressions with Integrated Time Series," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1190, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Wang, Qiying & Phillips, Peter C.B., 2009.
"Asymptotic Theory For Local Time Density Estimation And Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 710-738, June.
- Qiying Wang & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2006. "Asymptotic Theory for Local Time Density Estimation and Nonparametric Cointegrating Regression," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1594, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1991.
"A simple estimator of cointegrating vectors in higher order integrated systems,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-3, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Stock, James H & Watson, Mark W, 1993. "A Simple Estimator of Cointegrating Vectors in Higher Order Integrated Systems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 783-820, July.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Joon Y. Park, 1998.
"Asymptotics for Nonlinear Transformations of Integrated Time Series,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1182, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Park, Joon Y. & Phillips, Peter C.B., 1999. "Asymptotics For Nonlinear Transformations Of Integrated Time Series," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(03), pages 269-298, June.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1998. "It's Baaack: Japan's Slump and the Return of the Liquidity Trap," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(2), pages 137-206.
- Chung, Heetaik & Park, Joon Y., 2007.
"Nonstationary nonlinear heteroskedasticity in regression,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 230-259, March.
- Joon Y. Park & Heetaik Chung, 2004. "Nonstationary Nonlinear Heteroskedasticity in Regression," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 508, Econometric Society.
- Park, Joon & Chung, Heetaik, 2005. "Nonstationary Nonlinear Heteroskedasticity in Regression," Working Papers 2004-02, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Duca, John V. & VanHoose, David D., 2004. "Recent developments in understanding the demand for money," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 56(4), pages 247-272.
- Robinson, Peter M, 1988. "Root- N-Consistent Semiparametric Regression," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(4), pages 931-54, July.
- Chang Sik Kim & Joon Park, 2010. "Cointegrating Regressions with Time Heterogeneity," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(4), pages 397-438.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:167:y:2012:i:2:p:448-457. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.