Credit sales and advance payments: Substitutes or complements?
We investigate the interaction between supplier credit sales and customer advance payment. We find evidence that advance payments and credit sales are used as complementary terms of payment in international trade and in transactions of differentiated goods.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mariassunta Giannetti & Mike Burkart & Tore Ellingsen, 0.
"What You Sell Is What You Lend? Explaining Trade Credit Contracts,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(4), pages 1261-1298.
- Burkart, Mike & Ellingsen, Tore & Giannetti, Mariassunta, 2004. "What You Sell is What You Lend? Explaining Trade Credit Contracts," CEPR Discussion Papers 4823, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- JaeBin Ahn & Mary Amiti & David E. Weinstein, 2011. "Trade Finance and the Great Trade Collapse," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(3), pages 298-302, May.
- Richard Pike & Nam Sang Cheng & Karen Cravens & Dawne Lamminmaki, 2005. "Trade Credit Terms: Asymmetric Information and Price Discrimination Evidence From Three Continents," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(5-6), pages 1197-1236.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1997.
"Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(3), pages 661-91.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, . "Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence," CRSP working papers 322, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1996. "Trade Credit: Theories and Evidence," NBER Working Papers 5602, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bougheas, Spiros & Mateut, Simona & Mizen, Paul, 2009.
"Corporate trade credit and inventories: New evidence of a trade-off from accounts payable and receivable,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 300-307, February.
- Simona Mateut & Spiros Bougheas & Paul Mizen, . "Corporate trade credit and inventories: New evidence of a tradeoff from accounts payable and receivable," Discussion Papers 08/09, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Katharina Eck & Martina Engemann & Monika Schnitzer, 2012.
"How Trade Credits Foster International Trade,"
116, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Eck, Katharina & Engemann, Martina & Schnitzer, Monika, 2012. "How Trade Credits Foster International Trade," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 379, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Eck, Katharina & Engemann, Martina & Schnitzer, Monika, 2012. "How Trade Credits Foster International Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 8954, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Greenaway, David & Guariglia, Alessandra & Kneller, Richard, 2007. "Financial factors and exporting decisions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 377-395, November.
- Chee K. Ng & Janet Kiholm Smith & Richard L. Smith, 1999. "Evidence on the Determinants of Credit Terms Used in Interfirm Trade," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 1109-1129, 06.
- Arup Daripa & Jeffrey Nilsen, 2011. "Ensuring Sales: A Theory of Inter-firm Credit," American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, American Economic Association, vol. 3(1), pages 245-79, February.
- Smith, Janet Kiholm, 1987. " Trade Credit and Informational Asymmetry," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(4), pages 863-72, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:118:y:2013:i:1:p:173-176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.