Demographics and demand: Evaluation of alternative functional forms
We evaluate the role of functional form of demographics in demand analysis by proposing the GQL ‘unstructured’ demographically transformed model which nests the Barten–Gorman demographically modified model and popular rank-3 and rank-2 demand systems. We use UK individual data and find that the equivalence of the ‘unstructured’ and Barten–Gorman forms and identification of meaningful equivalence scales depend on the degree of flexibility of the demand system in demographic, price and income effects.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stengos, T. & Sun, Y. & Wang, D., 2003.
"Estimates of Semiparametric Equivalence Scales,"
2003-7, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2000.
"A Rational Rank Four Demand System,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
463, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 04 Apr 2003.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Barnes, Roberta & Gillingham, Robert, 1984. "Demographic Effects in Demand Analysis: Estimation of the Quadratic Expenditure System Using Microdata," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(4), pages 591-601, November.
- Daniel T. Slesnick, 1998. "Empirical Approaches to the Measurement of Welfare," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 2108-2165, December.
- Richard Blundell & Xiaohong Chen & Dennis Kristensen, 2007. "Semi-Nonparametric IV Estimation of Shape-Invariant Engel Curves," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(6), pages 1613-1669, November.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1990. "Full Rank Demand Systems," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(2), pages 289-300, May.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1985. "A Unified Approach to Incorporating Demographic or Other Effects into Demand Systems," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 1-18, January.
- Ray, R., 1995.
"Demographic Variables in Demand Systems: The Case for Generality,"
1995-08, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- Ray, Ranjan, 1996. "Demographic Variables in Demand Systems: The Case for Generality," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 307-15.
- Christopher J. Nicol, 2001. "The rank and model specification of demand systems: an empirical analysis using United States microdata," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(1), pages 259-289, February.
- Panayiota Lyssiotou & Panos Pashardes & Thanasis Stengos, 2001.
"Nesting Quadratic Logarithmic Demand Systems,"
University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics
0201, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Panayiota Lyssiotou, 2003. "On estimating the cost of characteristics indices from consumer demand analysis," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(2), pages 326-349, May.
- Lyssiotou, Panayiota & Pashardes, Panos & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "Testing the rank of Engel curves with endogenous expenditure," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 61-65, July.
- David L. Ryan & Terence J. Wales, 1999. "Flexible And Semiflexible Consumer Demands With Quadratic Engel Curves," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(2), pages 277-287, May.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1989. "Household equivalence scales and welfare comparisons," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 377-391, August.
- Arthur Lewbel, 2010.
"Shape-Invariant Demand Functions,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 92(3), pages 549-556, August.
- Nelson, Julie A, 1988. "Household Economies of Scale in Consumption: Theory and Evidence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(6), pages 1301-14, November.
- Gozalo, Pedro L., 1997. "Nonparametric bootstrap analysis with applications to demographic effects in demand functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 357-393, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:117:y:2012:i:3:p:627-631. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.