Local and Global Rank Tests for Multivariate Varying-Coefficient Models
In a multivariate varying-coefficient model, the response vectors Y are regressed on known functions u(X) of some explanatory variables X and the coefficients in an unknown regression matrix q(Z) depend on another set of explanatory variables Z. We provide statistical tests, called local and global rank tests, which allow to estimate the rank of an unknown regression coefficient matrix q(Z) locally at a fixed level of the variable Z or globally as the maximum rank over all levels of Z, respectively. In the case of local rank tests, we do so by applying already available rank tests to a kernel-based estimator of the coefficient matrix q(z). Global rank tests are obtained by integrating test statistics used in estimation of local rank tests. We present a simulation study where, focusing on global ranks, we examine small sample properties of the considered statistical tests. We also apply our results to estimate the so-called local and global ranks in a demand system where budget shares are regressed on known functions of total expenditures and the coefficients in a regression matrix depend on prices faced by a consumer.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 29 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.amstat.org/publications/index.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cragg, John G. & Donald, Stephen G., 1997. "Inferring the rank of a matrix," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 223-250.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:9:y:1993:i:2:p:222-40 is not listed on IDEAS
- Newey, Whitney K., 1994.
"Kernel Estimation of Partial Means and a General Variance Estimator,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(02), pages 1-21, June.
- Newey, W.K., 1992. "Kernel Estimation of Partial Means and a General Variance Estimator," Working papers 93-3, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Christopher J. Nicol, 2001. "The rank and model specification of demand systems: an empirical analysis using United States microdata," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 34(1), pages 259-289, February.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-730, May.
- Fortuna, Natercia, 2008. "Local rank tests in a multivariate nonparametric relationship," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 162-182, January.
- Natercia Fortuna, 2004. "Local rank tests in a multivariate nonparametric relationship," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 446, Econometric Society.
- Natércia Fortuna, 2004. "Local rank tests in a multivariate nonparametric relationship," FEP Working Papers 137, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:10:y:1994:i:2:p:233-53 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jianqing Fan, 2000. "Simultaneous Confidence Bands and Hypothesis Testing in Varying-coefficient Models," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 27(4), pages 715-731.
- Robin, Jean-Marc & Smith, Richard J., 2000. "Tests Of Rank," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(02), pages 151-175, April.
- Robin, J.M. & Smith, R.J., 1995. "Tests of Rank," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9521, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jean-Marc Robin & Richard J. Smith, 2000. "Tests of rank," Post-Print hal-00357758, HAL.
- Li, Qi, et al, 2002. "Semiparametric Smooth Coefficient Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 412-422, July.
- Stephen G. Donald, 1997. "Inference Concerning the Number of Factors in a Multivariate Nonparametric Relationship," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(1), pages 103-132, January.
- John Muellbauer, 1975. "Aggregation, Income Distribution and Consumer Demand," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(4), pages 525-543.
- Muellbauer, John, 1976. "Community Preferences and the Representative Consumer," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(5), pages 979-999, September.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Cragg, John G. & Donald, Stephen G., 1993. "Testing Identifiability and Specification in Instrumental Variable Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 222-240, April. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)