Comparisons of poverty across periods: Significance of distributional effects of prices
This paper identifies flexible scales from two cross sections of FES data capturing the distributional effects of inflation. Poverty rates based on the flexible and simple (per capita, modified OECD) deflators reveal different trends in poverty among households and children.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dreze, Jean & Srinivasan, P. V., 1997. "Widowhood and poverty in rural India: Some inferences from household survey data," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 217-234, December.
- Slesnick, Daniel T, 1993. "Gaining Ground: Poverty in the Postwar United States," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(1), pages 1-38, February.
- Grootaert, Christiaan, 1995. "Structural change and poverty in Africa: A decomposition anakysis for Cote d'Ivoire," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 375-401, August.
- Pendakur, Krishna, 2002.
"Taking prices seriously in the measurement of inequality,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 47-69, October.
- Pendakur, K., 1999. "Taking Prices Seriously in the Measurement of Inequality," Discussion Papers dp99-7, Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1990. "Full Rank Demand Systems," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(2), pages 289-300, May.
- Panayiota Lyssiotou, 2003. "On estimating the cost of characteristics indices from consumer demand analysis," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(2), pages 326-349, May.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1975. "Subindexes in the Cost of Living Index," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(1), pages 135-50, February.
- Lyssiotou, Panayiota, 1997. "Comparison of Alternative Tax and Transfer Treatment of Children Using Adult Equivalence Scales," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(1), pages 105-17, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:99:y:2008:i:1:p:14-17. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.