Estimates of semiparametric equivalence scales
Within the semiparametric framework introduced by Pendakur (1999) we introduce a new loss function to estimate equivalence scales. This loss function uses all available information from the total expenditures of both the reference and nonreference households and as such it produces more reliable estimates. Using Canadian family expenditure data for 1996 we apply this loss function to obtain equivalence scale estimates for a variety of expenditure share categories such as food, fuel and clothing. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 21 (2006)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/ |
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/jcatalog/subscribe.jsp?issn=0883-7252 Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pashardes, Panos, 1995. "Equivalence scales in a rank-3 demand system," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 143-158, September.
- Richard Blundell & Alan Duncan & Krishna Pendakur, 1998. "Semiparametric estimation and consumer demand," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(5), pages 435-461.
- Muellbauer, John, 1974. "Household composition, Engel curves and welfare comparisons between households : A duality approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 103-122, August.
- James Banks & Richard Blundell & Arthur Lewbel, 1997. "Quadratic Engel Curves And Consumer Demand," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 527-539, November.
- Yatchew, Adonis & Sun, Yiguo & Deri, Catherine, 2003. "Efficient Estimation of Semiparametric Equivalence Scales with Evidence from South Africa," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(2), pages 247-57, April.
- Lyssiotou, Panayiota & Pashardes, Panos & Stengos, Thanasis, 1999. "Preference Heterogeneity and the Rank of Demand Systems," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(2), pages 248-52, April.
- Lyssiotou, Panayiota, 1997. "Comparison of Alternative Tax and Transfer Treatment of Children Using Adult Equivalence Scales," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 43(1), pages 105-17, March.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1991. "The Rank of Demand Systems: Theory and Nonparametric Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 711-30, May.
- Pashardes, Panos, 1991. "Contemporaneous and intertemporal child costs : Equivalent expenditure vs. equivalent income scales," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 191-213, July.
- Browning, Martin, 1992. "Children and Household Economic Behavior," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 30(3), pages 1434-75, September.
- Gozalo, Pedro L., 1997. "Nonparametric bootstrap analysis with applications to demographic effects in demand functions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 357-393, December.
- Lewbel, Arthur, 1989. "Household equivalence scales and welfare comparisons," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 377-391, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jae:japmet:v:21:y:2006:i:5:p:629-639. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.