Heterogeneous car buyers: A stylized fact
We analyze quarterly data on light vehicle sales and buyer income to show that both prices and the income of buyers fall over the model year. The result is relevant to determining the rate of quality improvement of goods.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adam Copeland & Wendy Dunn & George Hall, 2005.
"Prices, Production and Inventories over the Automotive Model Year,"
NBER Working Papers
11257, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George Hall & Adam Copeland & Wendy Dunn, 2005. "Prices, Production, and Inventories Over the Automotive Model Year," 2005 Meeting Papers 346, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Copeland, Adam & Hall, George J., 2005. "Prices, Production and Inventories over the Automotive Model Year," Working Papers 2, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Adam Copeland & Wendy Dunn & George Hall, 2005. "Prices, production, and inventories over the automotive model year," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-25, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Mark Bils, 2009. "Do Higher Prices for New Goods Reflect Quality Growth or Inflation?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 124(2), pages 637-675, May.
- Carol Corrado & Wendy Dunn & Maria Otoo, 2006. "Incentives and prices for motor vehicles: what has been happening in recent years?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2006-09, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Harikesh Nair, 2007.
"Intertemporal price discrimination with forward-looking consumers: Application to the US market for console video-games,"
Quantitative Marketing and Economics,
Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 239-292, September.
- Nair, Harikesh, S., 2006. "Intertemporal Price Discrimination with Forward-Looking Consumers: Application to the US Market for Console Video-Games," Research Papers 1947, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Tim Erickson & Ariel Pakes, 2011.
"An Experimental Component Index for the CPI: From Annual Computer Data to Monthly Data on Other Goods,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 1707-38, August.
- Timothy Erickson & Ariel Pakes, 2008. "An Experimental Component Index for the CPI: From Annual Computer Data to Monthly Data on Other Goods," NBER Working Papers 14368, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pashigian, B Peter & Bowen, Brian & Gould, Eric, 1995. "Fashion, Styling, and the Within-Season Decline in Automobile Prices," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 281-309, October.
- Ana Aizcorbe, 2006. "Why Did Semiconductor Price Indexes Fall So Fast in the 1990s? A Decomposition," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(3), pages 485-496, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:109:y:2010:i:1:p:50-53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.