Heterogeneous car buyers: A stylized fact
We analyze quarterly data on light vehicle sales and buyer income to show that both prices and the income of buyers fall over the model year. The result is relevant to determining the rate of quality improvement of goods.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pashigian, B Peter & Bowen, Brian & Gould, Eric, 1995. "Fashion, Styling, and the Within-Season Decline in Automobile Prices," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(2), pages 281-309, October.
- Copeland, Adam & Hall, George J., 2005.
"Prices, Production and Inventories over the Automotive Model Year,"
2, Yale University, Department of Economics.
- Adam Copeland & Wendy Dunn & George Hall, 2005. "Prices, Production and Inventories over the Automotive Model Year," NBER Working Papers 11257, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- George Hall & Adam Copeland & Wendy Dunn, 2005. "Prices, Production, and Inventories Over the Automotive Model Year," 2005 Meeting Papers 346, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Adam Copeland & Wendy E. Dunn & George J. Hall, 2005. "Prices, production, and inventories over the automotive model year," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-25, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Carol Corrado & Wendy E. Dunn & Maria Ward Otoo, 2006. "Incentives and prices for motor vehicles: what has been happening in recent years?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2006-09, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ana Aizcorbe, 2006. "Why Did Semiconductor Price Indexes Fall So Fast in the 1990s? A Decomposition," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(3), pages 485-496, July.
- Harikesh Nair, 2007.
"Intertemporal price discrimination with forward-looking consumers: Application to the US market for console video-games,"
Quantitative Marketing and Economics (QME),
Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 239-292, September.
- Nair, Harikesh S., 2006. "Intertemporal Price Discrimination with Forward-Looking Consumers: Application to the US Market for Console Video-Games," Research Papers 1947, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Mark Bils, 2009. "Do Higher Prices for New Goods Reflect Quality Growth or Inflation?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 124(2), pages 637-675.
- Tim Erickson & Ariel Pakes, 2011.
"An Experimental Component Index for the CPI: From Annual Computer Data to Monthly Data on Other Goods,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 101(5), pages 1707-38, August.
- Timothy Erickson & Ariel Pakes, 2008. "An Experimental Component Index for the CPI: From Annual Computer Data to Monthly Data on Other Goods," NBER Working Papers 14368, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:109:y:2010:i:1:p:50-53. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.