They Played the Merger Game: A Retrospective Analysis in the UK Videogames Market
We study the effect of a merger in a dynamic high-technology industry–the videogame market– which is characterized by frequent introduction of new products. To assess the impact of the merger between two large specialist retailers in the UK, we perform a difference-in-differences analysis comparing the price evolution of the merging parties to that of their 7 major competitors on an original sample of 196 videogames belonging to six different consoles. The results of our econometric analyses suggest that there has been a reduction in the general level of prices of both new and pre-owned games after the merger. This decline has been more marked for the merging parties, which suggests that the merger between Game and Gamestation did not lead to a substantial lessening of competition; rather it is consistent with the existence of efficiency gains.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Piazza Scaravilli, 2, and Strada Maggiore, 45, 40125 Bologna|
Phone: +39 051 209 8019 and 2600
Fax: +39 051 209 8040 and 2664
Web page: http://www.dse.unibo.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nair, Harikesh S., 2006.
"Intertemporal Price Discrimination with Forward-Looking Consumers: Application to the US Market for Console Video-Games,"
1947, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Harikesh Nair, 2007. "Intertemporal price discrimination with forward-looking consumers: Application to the US market for console video-games," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 239-292, September.
- Corts, Kenneth S. & Lederman, Mara, 2009. "Software exclusivity and the scope of indirect network effects in the U.S. home video game market," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 121-136, March.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:720-737 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mark J. McCabe, 2002. "Journal Pricing and Mergers: A Portfolio Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(1), pages 259-269, March.
- Ricard Gil & Frederic Warzynski, 2015.
"Vertical Integration, Exclusivity, and Game Sales Performance in the US Video Game Industry,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 31(suppl_1), pages i143-i168.
- Ricard Gil & Frédèric Warzynski, 2010. "Vertical Integration, Exclusivity and Game Sales Performance in the US Video Game Industry," Working Papers 10-06, NET Institute, revised Sep 2010.
- Gil, Ricard & Warzynski, Frederic, 2009. "Vertical Integration, Exclusivity and Game Sales Performance in the U.S. Video Game Industry," Working Papers 09-19, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Gil, Ricard & Warzynski, Frédéric, 2009. "Vertical Integration, Exclusivity and Game Sales Performance in the U.S. Video Game Industry," MPRA Paper 21049, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Dec 2009.
- Aguzzoni, Luca & Argentesi, Elena & Ciari, Lorenzo & Duso, Tomaso & Tognoni, Massimo, 2013.
"Ex-post merger evaluation in the UK retail market for books,"
DICE Discussion Papers
98, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Luca Aguzzoni & Elena Argentesi & Lorenzo Ciari & Tomaso Duso & Massimo Tognoni, 2013. "Ex-Post Merger Evaluation in the UK Retail Market for Books," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1310, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Duso, Tomaso & Argentesi, Elena & Aguzzoni, Luca & Ciari, Lorenzo & Tognoni, Massimo, 2013. "Ex-post Merger Evaluation in the UK Retail Market for Books," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 80025, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- L. Aguzzoni & E. Argentesi & L. Ciari & T. Duso & M. Tognoni, 2013. "Ex-post Merger Evaluation in the UK Retail Market for Books," Working Papers wp889, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Dario Focarelli & Fabio Panetta, 2003. "Are Mergers Beneficial to Consumers? Evidence from the Market for Bank Deposits," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1152-1172, September.
- Romahn, André & Friberg, Richard, 2012. "Ex-Post Merger Review and Divestitures," IESE Research Papers D/1056, IESE Business School.
- Orley C. Ashenfelter & Daniel S. Hosken & Matthew C. Weinberg, 2011.
"The Price Effects of a Large Merger of Manufacturers: A Case Study of Maytag-Whirlpool,"
NBER Working Papers
17476, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Orley C. Ashenfelter & Daniel S. Hosken & Matthew C. Weinberg, 2013. "The Price Effects of a Large Merger of Manufacturers: A Case Study of Maytag-Whirlpool," American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 239-61, February.
- Aviv Nevo & Michael D. Whinston, 2010. "Taking the Dogma out of Econometrics: Structural Modeling and Credible Inference," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 24(2), pages 69-82, Spring.
- Ariel Pakes, 2003.
"A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indexes with an Application to PC's,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(5), pages 1578-1596, December.
- Ariel Pakes, 2002. "A Reconsideration of Hedonic Price Indices with an Application to PC's," NBER Working Papers 8715, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Matthew T. Clements & Hiroshi Ohashi, 2004.
"Indirect Network Effects and the Product Cycle: Video Games in the U.S., 1994-2002,"
04-01, NET Institute, revised Oct 2004.
- Matthew T. Clements & Hiroshi Ohashi, 2004. "Indirect Network Effects and the Product Cycle: Video Games in the U.S., 1994-2002," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-261, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Raymond Deneckere & Carl Davidson, 1985. "Incentives to Form Coalitions with Bertrand Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 16(4), pages 473-486, Winter.
- Matthew Weinberg, 2007. "The Price Effects of Horizontal Mergers: A Survey," Working Papers 62, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bol:bodewp:wp908. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Luca Miselli)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Luca Miselli to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.