Seasonality, consumer heterogeneity and price indexes: the case of prepackaged software
This paper measures constant-quality price change for prepackaged software in the US using detailed and comprehensive scanner data. Because there is a large sales surge over the winter-holiday, it is important to account for seasonal variation. Using a novel approach to constructing a seasonally-adjusted cost-of-living price index that explicitly accounts for consumer heterogeneity, I find that from 1997 to 2003 constant-quality software prices declined at an average 15.9% at an annual rate. As a point of comparison, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports average annual price declines of only 7.7% for prepackaged software. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2013
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bils, Mark, 1989. "Pricing in a Customer Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 699-718, November.
- Ana Aizcorbe & Benjamin Bridgman & Jeremy Nalewaik, 2009.
"Heterogeneous car buyers: a stylized fact,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2009-12, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Fisher, Franklin M & Griliches, Zvi, 1995. "Aggregate Price Indices, New Goods, and Generics," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(1), pages 229-44, February.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Matthew D. Shapiro, 2003. "Scanner Data and Price Indexes," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number feen03-1, August.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Matthew D. Shapiro, 2003. "Introduction to "Scanner Data and Price Indexes"," NBER Chapters, in: Scanner Data and Price Indexes, pages 1-14 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc Prud'homme & Dimitri Sanga & Kam Yu, 2005. "A computer software price index using scanner data," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(3), pages 999-1017, August.
- Diewert, W. Erwin, 1999. "Index Number Approaches To Seasonal Adjustment," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(01), pages 48-68, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jproda:v:39:y:2013:i:1:p:47-59. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.