Corruption and decisions on opening up markets
We consider a mixed duopoly with a private firm, domestic or foreign-owned, competing with a public firm. We analyze the extent to which opening policy is affected by lobbying efforts and rent-seeking behaviors. We obtain the counterintuitive result that corruption may improve social welfare when the government neglects corruption and does not prevent it, as the scope for the entry of a foreign private firm is greater. Moreover, the government may prevent corrupt activities by policy-makers by requiring the entrant firm to buy a license to operate in the market. In this case, the scope for external opening up is greater than in the other cases and social welfare is further improved when the entrant firm is foreign-owned.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth Fjell & Debashis Pal, 1996. "A Mixed Oligopoly in the Presence of Foreign Private Firms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(3), pages 737-43, August.
- Céline Bonnet & Pierre Dubois & David Martimort & Stéphane Straub, 2012.
"Empirical Evidence on Satisfaction with Privatization in Latin America,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 26(1), pages 1-33.
- Céline Bonnet & Pierre Dubois & Stephane Straub & David Martimort, 2012. "Empirical Evidence on Satisfaction with Privatization in Latin America," PSE - Labex "OSE-Ouvrir la Science Economique" hal-00813167, HAL.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima & Ikuo Ishibashi, 2007.
"Privatization and entries of foreign enterprises in a differentiated industry,"
2007-01, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Toshihiro Matsumura & Noriaki Matsushima & Ikuo Ishibashi, 2009. "Privatization and entries of foreign enterprises in a differentiated industry," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 98(3), pages 203-219, December.
- White, Mark D., 2002. "Political manipulation of a public firm's objective function," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 487-499, December.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1994.
"The Politics of Free Trade Agreements,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
908, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1993. "The Politics of Free Trade Agreements," NBER Working Papers 4597, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1993. "The Politics of Free Trade Agreements," Papers 166, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1993. "The Politics of Free Trade Agreements," Papers 14-93, Tel Aviv.
- Juan Bárcena-Ruiz, 2007. "Endogenous Timing in a Mixed Duopoly: Price Competition," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 91(3), pages 263-272, July.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin & Zhao, Ronald, 2001. "Impact of Ownership and Competition on the Productivity of Chinese Enterprises," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 327-346, June.
- Matsumura, Toshihiro & Ogawa, Akira, 2012. "Price versus quantity in a mixed duopoly," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 174-177.
- Branstetter, Lee G. & Feenstra, Robert C., 2002.
"Trade and foreign direct investment in China: a political economy approach,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(2), pages 335-358, December.
- Lee G. Branstetter & Robert C. Feenstra, 1999. "Trade and Foreign Direct Investment in China: A Political Economy Approach," NBER Working Papers 7100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Juan Carlos Bárcena‐Ruiz & Máximo Sedano, 2011.
"Endogenous Timing In A Mixed Duopoly: Weighted Welfare And Price Competition,"
The Japanese Economic Review,
Japanese Economic Association, vol. 62(4), pages 485-503, December.
- Sedano Hoyuelos, Máximo & Bárcena Ruiz, Juan Carlos, 2011. "Endogenous Timing in a Mixed Duopoly: Wighted Welfare and Price Competition," IKERLANAK 2011-46, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Fundamentos del Análisis Económico I.
- Akira Ogawa & Kazuhiko Kato, 2006. "Price Competition in a Mixed Duopoly," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 12(4), pages 1-5.
- Bhattacharyya, Arunava & Lovell, C. A. K. & Sahay, Pankaj, 1997. "The impact of liberalization on the productive efficiency of Indian commercial banks," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 332-345, April.
- Martimort, David & Straub, Stéphane, 2009. "Infrastructure privatization and changes in corruption patterns: The roots of public discontent," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(1), pages 69-84, September.
- Toshihiro Matsumura, 2003. "Stackelberg Mixed Duopoly with a Foreign Competitor," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(3), pages 275-287, 07.
- Okuda, Hidenobu & Rungsomboon, Suvadee, 2006. "Comparative cost study of foreign and Thai domestic banks in 1990-2002: Its policy implications for a desirable banking industry structure," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 714-737, October.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:12:y:2006:i:4:p:1-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nirvikar Singh & Xavier Vives, 1984. "Price and Quantity Competition in a Differentiated Duopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(4), pages 546-554, Winter.
- Noriaki Matsushima & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2005.
"Mixed Oligopoly, Foreign Firms, and Location Choice,"
2005-21, Kobe University, Graduate School of Business Administration.
- Matsushima, Noriaki & Matsumura, Toshihiro, 2006. "Mixed oligopoly, foreign firms, and location choice," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 753-772, November.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992.
"Protection for Sale,"
162, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 1992. "Protection For Sale," NBER Working Papers 4149, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, G.M. & Helpman, E., 1992. "Protection for Sale," Papers 21-92, Tel Aviv.
- Grossman, Gene & Helpman, Elhanan, 1993. "Protection for Sale," CEPR Discussion Papers 827, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lihua Han & Hikaru Ogawa, 2012. "Market‐Demand Boosting And Privatization In A Mixed Duopoly," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 64(1), pages 125-134, 01.
- Winston Chang, 2005. "Optimal Trade and Privatization Policies in an International Duopoly with Cost Asymmetry," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1), pages 19-42.
- Juan Carlos Bárcena-Ruiz & María Begoña Garzón, 2005.
"International Trade and Strategic Privatization,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(4), pages 502-513, November.
- Susumu Cato & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2012. "Long-Run Effects of Foreign Penetration on Privatization Policies," Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 168(3), pages 444-454, September.
- Hillman, Arye L & Ursprung, Heinrich W, 1988. "Domestic Politics, Foreign Interests, and International Trade Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 719-45, September.
- Yuanzhu Lu, 2005.
"Endogenous Timing in a Mixed Oligopoly with Foreign Competitors: the Linear Demand Case,"
CEMA Working Papers
506, China Economics and Management Academy, Central University of Finance and Economics.
- Yuanzhu Lu, 2006. "Endogenous Timing in a Mixed Oligopoly with Foreign Competitors: the Linear Demand Case," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 88(1), pages 49-68, June.
- Boardman, Anthony E. & Shapiro, Daniel M. & Vining, Aidan R., 1997. "The role of agency costs in explaining the superior performance of foreign MNE subsidiaries," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 295-317, June.
- Chi-Chur Chao & Eden S. H. Yu, 2006. "Partial Privatization, Foreign Competition, and Optimum Tariff," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 14(1), pages 87-92, 02.
- Mukherjee, Arijit & Suetrong, Kullapat, 2009. "Privatization, strategic foreign direct investment and host-country welfare," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 775-785, October.
- de Fraja, Giovanni & Delbono, Flavio, 1989. "Alternative Strategies of a Public Enterprise in Oligopoly," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(2), pages 302-11, April.
- Debashis Pal & Mark D. White, 1998. "Mixed Oligopoly, Privatization, and Strategic Trade Policy," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 65(2), pages 264-281, October.
- Bernheim, B Douglas & Whinston, Michael D, 1986. "Menu Auctions, Resource Allocation, and Economic Influence," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 101(1), pages 1-31, February.
- Ming Lin & Toshihiro Matsumura, 2012. "Presence of foreign investors in privatized firms and privatization policy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 107(1), pages 71-80, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:36:y:2014:i:c:p:23-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.