Long-Run Effects of Foreign Penetration on Privatization Policies
This paper investigates the long-run effect of foreign penetration in product markets on privatization policies. We find that the optimal degree of privatization is increasing in foreign penetration. This result is in sharp contrast to the existing short-run result that it is decreasing. Our result suggests that from a long-run viewpoint, the country with a more open market should promote the privatization of public enterprises, even though this reduces welfare in the short run.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 168 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://www.mohr.de/jite|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Mohr Siebeck GmbH & Co. KG, P.O.Box 2040, 72010 Tübingen, Germany|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giacomo Corneo & Oliver Jeanne, 1994. "Oligopole mixte dans un marché commun," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 33, pages 73-90.
- Kenji Fujiwara, 2007. "Partial Privatization in a Differentiated Mixed Oligopoly," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 92(1), pages 51-65, September.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1994:i:33:p:06 is not listed on IDEAS
- A. Brandão & S. Castro, 2007. "State-owned enterprises as indirect instruments of entry regulation," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 92(3), pages 263-274, December.
- Susumu Cato, 2011. "Privatization Policy And Cost‐Reducing Investment By The Private Sector," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 79(6), pages 1157-1178, December.
- Fjell, Kenneth & Heywood, John S, 2002. "Public Stackelberg Leadership in a Mixed Oligopoly with Foreign Firms," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 267-281, September.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1994:i:33 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fershtman, Chaim, 1985. "Managerial incentives as a strategic variable in duopolistic environment," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 245-253, June.