Competition under manufacturer service and retail price
This research highlights the importance of service from manufacturers in the interactions between two competing manufacturers and their common retailer, facing end consumers who are sensitive to both retail price and manufacturer service. A game-theoretic framework is applied to obtain the equilibrium solutions for every entity. This article studies and compares results from three possible supply chain scenarios, (1) Manufacturer Stackelberg, (2) Retailer Stackelberg, and (3) Vertical Nash. This research concludes that consumers receive higher service level when every channel member possesses equal bargaining power (e.g., Vertical Nash). An interesting result shows that as the market base of one product increases, the competitor also benefits but at a lesser amount than the manufacturer of the first product. Furthermore, when one manufacturer has some economic advantage in providing service, the retailer will act to separate market segment by selling the product with low-cost/lower-quality service at a low price and selling the product with high-cost/high-quality service at a high price. The results and the modeling approach are useful references for managerial decisions and administrations.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. Dixit, 1977.
"Quality and Quantity Competition,"
198, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- K. Sridhar Moorthy, 1988. "Product and Price Competition in a Duopoly," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 7(2), pages 141-168.
- Birendra K. Mishra & Srinivasan Raghunathan, 2004. "Retailer- vs. Vendor-Managed Inventory and Brand Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(4), pages 445-457, April.
- Abel P. Jeuland & Steven M. Shugan, 1983. "Managing Channel Profits," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(3), pages 239-272.
- Fiona Scott Morton & Florian Zettelmeyer, 2004. "The Strategic Positioning of Store Brands in Retailer--Manufacturer Negotiations," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 161-194, 03.
- Naufel J. Vilcassim & Vrinda Kadiyali & Pradeep K. Chintagunta, 1999. "Investigating Dynamic Multifirm Market Interactions in Price and Advertising," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(4), pages 499-518, April.
- Timothy W. McGuire & Richard Staelin, 1983. "An Industry Equilibrium Analysis of Downstream Vertical Integration," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(2), pages 161-191.
- Ganesh Iyer, 1998. "Coordinating Channels Under Price and Nonprice Competition," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(4), pages 338-355.
- Oczkowski, Edward, 1998. "An econometric analysis of the bilateral monopoly model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 53-69, January.
- K. Sudhir & Vrinda Kadiyali & Vithala R. Rao, 2001. "Structural Analysis of Manufacturer Pricing in the Presence of a Strategic Retailer," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm229, Yale School of Management.
- A. Michael Spence, 1975. "Monopoly, Quality, and Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 417-429, Autumn.
- Minakshi Trivedi, 1998. "Distribution Channels: An Extension of Exclusive Retailership," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(7), pages 896-909, July.
- Eunkyu Lee & Richard Staelin, 1997. "Vertical Strategic Interaction: Implications for Channel Pricing Strategy," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(3), pages 185-207.
- Lal, Rajiv & Matutes, Carmen, 1994. "Retail Pricing and Advertising Strategies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 67(3), pages 345-70, July.
- Jagmohan S. Raju & Raj Sethuraman & Sanjay K. Dhar, 1995. "The Introduction and Performance of Store Brands," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(6), pages 957-978, June.
- Joseph Hall & Evan Porteus, 2000. "Customer Service Competition in Capacitated Systems," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(2), pages 144-165, November.
- K. Sudhir, 2001. "Structural Analysis of Manufacturer Pricing in the Presence of a Strategic Retailer," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 20(3), pages 244-264, October.
- Nie, Pu-yan, 2009. "Commitment for storable goods under vertical integration," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 414-417, March.
- Ambler, Steve & Paquet, Alain, 1997.
"Recursive methods for computing equilibria of general equilibrium dynamic Stackelberg games,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 155-173, April.
- Steve Ambler & Alain Paquet, 1994. "Recursive Methods for Computing Equilibria of General Equilibrium Dynamic Stackelberg Games," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 25, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- A. M. McGahan & Pankaj Ghemawat, 1994. "Competition to Retain Customers," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(2), pages 165-176.
- Charles A. Ingene & Mark E. Parry, 1995. "Channel Coordination When Retailers Compete," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(4), pages 360-377.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Inder Khosla & Kingshuk K. Sinha, 1998. "Quality and Competition," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(9), pages 1179-1192, September.
- Serdar Sayman & Stephen J. Hoch & Jagmohan S. Raju, 2002. "Positioning of Store Brands," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(4), pages 378-397, June.
- Paul R. Messinger & Chakravarthi Narasimhan, 1995. "Has Power Shifted in the Grocery Channel?," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 14(2), pages 189-223.
- S. Chan Choi, 1991. "Price Competition in a Channel Structure with a Common Retailer," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(4), pages 271-296.
- Kut C. So, 2000. "Price and Time Competition for Service Delivery," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(4), pages 392-409, April.
- Vrinda Kadiyali & Pradeep Chintagunta & Naufel Vilcassim, 2000. "Manufacturer-Retailer Channel Interactions and Implications for Channel Power: An Empirical Investigation of Pricing in a Local Market," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(2), pages 127-148, September.
- Andy A. Tsay & Narendra Agrawal, 2000. "Channel Dynamics Under Price and Service Competition," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(4), pages 372-391, August.
- Tamer Boyaci & Saibal Ray, 2003. "Product Differentiation and Capacity Cost Interaction in Time and Price Sensitive Markets," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 5(1), pages 18-36, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:28:y:2011:i:3:p:1256-1264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.