Market-power versus cost-efficiency in Thailand's banking sector in the post-crisis period (1998–2011)
The degree of competition and effect of market concentration on interest rate margins in the banking sector of Thailand are estimated using the new empirical industrial organization model. We find that the collusive behavior and the market power of banks intensified during 2005–2011, after the East Asian financial crisis. Although the estimated benefit of scale economies resulting from increased concentration is statistically insignificant, its estimated impact would offset the unfavorable effect of higher market-power associated with higher concentration.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002.
"Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001. "Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry," DNB Staff Reports (discontinued) 68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Hidenobu Okuda & Suvadee Rungsomboon, 2007.
"The Effects of Foreign Bank Entry on the Thai Banking Market: Empirical Analysis from 1990 to 2002,"
Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(01), pages 101-126.
- Okuda, Hidenobu & Rungsomboon, Suvadee, 2005. "The Effects of Foreign Bank Entry on the Thai Banking Market: Empirical Analysis from 1990 to 2002," CEI Working Paper Series 2004-20, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Azzam, Azzeddine M, 1997. "Measuring Market Power and Cost-Efficiency Effects of Industrial Concentration," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 377-86, December.
- Kubo, Koji, 2006. "The Degree of Competition in the Thai Banking Industry before and after the East Asian Crisis," IDE Discussion Papers 56, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Panzar, John C & Rosse, James N, 1987. "Testing for "Monopoly" Equilibrium," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 443-56, June.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
- Yuan, Yuan, 2006. "The state of competition of the Chinese banking industry," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 519-534, June.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1989. "Competition in the U.S. banking industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 321-323.
- Polsiri, Piruna & Wiwattanakantang, Yupana, 2006. "Corporate Governance of Banks in Thailand," CEI Working Paper Series 2005-20, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:asieco:v:23:y:2012:i:5:p:499-506. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.