Market-power versus cost-efficiency in Thailand's banking sector in the post-crisis period (1998–2011)
The degree of competition and effect of market concentration on interest rate margins in the banking sector of Thailand are estimated using the new empirical industrial organization model. We find that the collusive behavior and the market power of banks intensified during 2005–2011, after the East Asian financial crisis. Although the estimated benefit of scale economies resulting from increased concentration is statistically insignificant, its estimated impact would offset the unfavorable effect of higher market-power associated with higher concentration.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Panzar, John C & Rosse, James N, 1987. "Testing for "Monopoly" Equilibrium," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 443-56, June.
- Yuan, Yuan, 2006. "The state of competition of the Chinese banking industry," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 519-534, June.
- Kubo, Koji, 2006. "The Degree of Competition in the Thai Banking Industry before and after the East Asian Crisis," IDE Discussion Papers 56, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2001.
"Competition, Concentration and their Relationship: an EmpiricalAnalysis of the Banking Industry,"
DNB Staff Reports (discontinued)
68, Netherlands Central Bank.
- Bikker, Jacob A. & Haaf, Katharina, 2002. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: An empirical analysis of the banking industry," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(11), pages 2191-2214, November.
- J.A. Bikker & K. Haaf, 2000. "Competition, concentration and their relationship: an empirical analysis of the banking industry," Research Series Supervision (discontinued) 30, Netherlands Central Bank, Directorate Supervision.
- Azzam, Azzeddine M, 1997. "Measuring Market Power and Cost-Efficiency Effects of Industrial Concentration," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(4), pages 377-86, December.
- Polsiri, Piruna & Wiwattanakantang, Yupana, 2006. "Corporate Governance of Banks in Thailand," CEI Working Paper Series 2005-20, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Okuda, Hidenobu & Rungsomboon, Suvadee, 2005.
"The Effects of Foreign Bank Entry on the Thai Banking Market: Empirical Analysis from 1990 to 2002,"
CEI Working Paper Series
2004-20, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Hidenobu Okuda & Suvadee Rungsomboon, 2007. "The Effects of Foreign Bank Entry on the Thai Banking Market: Empirical Analysis from 1990 to 2002," Review of Pacific Basin Financial Markets and Policies (RPBFMP), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(01), pages 101-126.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1989. "Competition in the U.S. banking industry," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 321-323.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1982. "The oligopoly solution concept is identified," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(1-2), pages 87-92.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:asieco:v:23:y:2012:i:5:p:499-506. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.