Study on energy use efficiency for paddy crop using data envelopment analysis (DEA) technique
The energy-ratio (output energy to input energy ratio) and specific energy (input energy to yield ratio denoted by MJ/kg) of farmers in crop production systems are indices, which can define the efficiency and performance of farms. Technical efficiency (weighted output energy to weighted input energy ratio) is another way to explain the efficiency of farmers. In this paper non-parametric method i.e. Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) technique was subjected to data of paddy producers in Punjab state (India). Technical, pure technical and scale efficiencies were calculated (by using CCR and BCC models) for farmers category-wise and zone-wise. Results revealed that small farmers had high energy-ratio and low specific energy requirement as compared to larger ones at paddy farms. Energy-ratio was 10 in zone 2 and 8.6 in zone 3 and was highest as compared to other zones and it depicted that the farmers in these zones had more efficiency than other zones. There was strong correlation between energy-ratio and technical efficiency in both category-wise and zone-wise with correlation coefficient 0.98 and 0.99, respectively. Also it was observed that the correlation coefficient between specific energy and inverse technical efficiency was 0.97 and 0.99, respectively for operation-wise and source-wise energy inputs for paddy crop. Although there was high correlation between technical efficiency and energy-ratio, however comparison between correlation coefficient of farmers in different farm categories and different zones showed that energy-ratio and specific energy are not enhanced indices for explaining of all kinds of the technical, pure technical and scale efficiency of farmers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 86 (2009)
Issue (Month): 7-8 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/description#description |
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/405891/bibliographic|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Singh, Surendra & Mittal, J. P. & Singh, M. P. & Bakhshi, R., 1988. "Energy-use patterns under various farming systems in Punjab," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 261-268.
- Singh, Surendra & Singh, Sarjinder & Mittal, J.P. & Pannu, C.J.S. & Bhangoo, B.S., 1994. "Energy inputs and crop yield relationships for rice in Punjab," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1061-1065.
- Cubbin, John & Tzanidakis, George, 1998. "Regression versus data envelopment analysis for efficiency measurement: an application to the England and Wales regulated water industry," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 75-85, June.
- W, Y, 1995. "Productivity Growth, Technological Progress, and Technical Efficiency Change in China: A Three-Sector Analysis1," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 207-229, October.
- Canakci, M. & Akinci, I., 2006. "Energy use pattern analyses of greenhouse vegetable production," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 1243-1256.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Galanopoulos, Konstantinos & Aggelopoulos, Stamatis & Kamenidou, Irene & Mattas, Konstadinos, 2006. "Assessing the effects of managerial and production practices on the efficiency of commercial pig farming," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 88(2-3), pages 125-141, June.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Boehmel, Constanze & Lewandowski, Iris & Claupein, Wilhelm, 2008. "Comparing annual and perennial energy cropping systems with different management intensities," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-3), pages 224-236, March.
- Jebaraj, S. & Iniyan, S., 2006. "A review of energy models," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 281-311, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:appene:v:86:y:2009:i:7-8:p:1320-1325. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.